Pitch Control

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Brendan

Pitch Control

Post by Brendan »

Do you all use pitch control? I was at a karaoke venue recently and i requested a song at 2 low (-2) The KJ told me to just sing and he will adjust the pitch to suit me. He said the machines all vary for pitch control. What do u all think? Should the singer be able to say what pitch setting he wants or leave it to the KJ to adjust? I would like to hear from KJ's and home users.

Also, I sing some songs on two or three low. Should i feel guilty for asking the KJ to adjust the pitch to such a low key. Sometime i feel like i'm putting the KJ out by adjusting the key. I have noticed some degradation to the sound quality when the pitch is dropped, is this why some KJ's don't like to adjust the pitch? Even professional singers sing at their comfort mid range pitch, right?

My feeling is i know better than the KJ what pitch i can sing a given song.

Karanight

Re: Pitch Control

Post by Karanight »

I sing at the pitch MY voice lets me sing at. Every singer whether pro or amateur sings at an appropriate key. Even George Michael who sang the Queen song "Somebody To Love"sang it at a lower key to what Freddie did. No KJ should adjust the key whilst a singer is singing because to get the key after you've started in another key is not easy and can result in the whole singing experience being ruined. Sack the KJ and get one that knows what he/she is doing. If I asked a KJ to lower the pitch and he said what your KJ said, I wouldn't sing and I'd go else where. You should NEVER feel guilty for asking the KJ to lower the pitch because
1, some karaoke tracks are not in the key that the song was originally recorded in and
2, Singers sing for their enjoyment and therefore should be able to ask the KJ to do as the singer wishes.

I'm a bit fussy where I sing. If I go to a venue and the sound system is crap, I won't sing there either.
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I didnt realize karaoke tracks are not always in the original key. That should be a standard for the industry. I was assuming the 0 pitch or key was the way the artist recorded it. :lol:

Is there a degradation in audio quality when the key is dropped? Or is it my mind playing tricks on me again :roll:

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

From what I'm told I believe that some programs do loose sound quality when the pitch is changed but I've never noticed it, certainly not with kJams. Maybe that's another reason not to support a KJ thats using a program that's using such a program. If I used a program that lost such a lot of quality that it's noticeable when I changed the pitch, then I'd change my program. Having said that, your changing the pitch so it's going to sound "different"

Web site at

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

any KJ who makes like you're putting him out for changing the pitch to suit you is totally fired. I would not keep them. it's their JOB to play the song you ask for, and put it at the proper pitch. Do not feel guilty for asking. Instead, feel guilty for not complaining to the bar owner that the KJ sucks.

kJams has ZERO degradation of audio when you change the pitch. and that is provable using a spectrum analyzer if you're into that sortof thing.

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

Well said Dave. Thats why kJams rocks!

Web site at

Einsteindork

Post by Einsteindork »

I use pitch control all the time at my shows. Usually if the singer struggles with a song I will note it for next time and ask if he wants the pitch changed. Every single time the singer is relieved, excited, and impressed that the song was singable for them and didn't sound "different". They will come back just for that reason! I never do it when they are singing. I agree with Dave. If a KJ is put out by having to do this then they are out!

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I do the same at my house parties Einsteindork. Well thats it, Come this Saturday he is fired!

I'm sure there is no degradation on kjams part. Again, i am sure there is NO degradation on Kjams part. I am thinking it is the disc maker or a loss in inthe quality of a good sound system? Does anyone hear this ?? I think i have dam good ears for sound. - Cheers

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

If you're on a mac, do me a test and try the pitch change with and without "use apple audio unit for pitch bending" (audio prefs). let me know if you can hear a difference. I think using the apple unit may sound a little cleaner.

tetzel

Post by tetzel »

When changing the pitch, is each step equal to a full note change? For example, if a song is natively in the key of C, as announced on the opening screen, is changing the pitch +1 (for example) make it in D, or C#?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it's a half step, not a whole step

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

I think what that KJ may have been referencing is that SOME CD-G players adjust pitch by varying the playback speed (faster tempo = higher pitch, slower tempo = lower pitch). The machine I used for years for my show worked this way and was infinitely adjustable by percentage, and not in half-step increments. So, when people asked, I would just say yes and take my best guess rather than explain that I couldn't do exactly what they wanted. Although I did try to remember to tell them that the tempo might be a little faster/slower than they were used to.

There is a difference with the apple audio unit, Dave, or rather...there has been in the past (I haven't noticed it lately). With the Apple audio unit turned on, I don't get the occasional stutter in playback that I get without it. It's not often noticeable at the venue, but at home practicing I've noticed it before. I want to say it happens more on my G5 iMac than it does on my Core 2 Duo laptop. I'll try to keep an ear out for it and send you the file and machine/software particulars if I run across it again.
From he to whom much liquor is given...much singing is expected.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

thanks for the info, yes keep me posted :D