Multi-monitors with a new Mac

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
dave
Site Admin

Re: Multi-monitors with a new Mac

Post by dave »

great links, thanks!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

that one won't work on a mac unless you ALSO have a "Mini-DisplayPort" to "DisplayPort" adapter.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Those are cheap too. So it gets the costs down, which I am hoping to achieve. (I am cheap, as we all know!)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

note: if you're going from your computer to an analog HD (via component) you'll need the HDFuryII
http://www.hdfury.com/

note: get the II, not the I. you probably do NOT need the III

Sandra06

Post by Sandra06 »

S-Video Cable is used widely around the world. This type of cable is in home appliances such as televisions, digital television receivers, VCRs, high-end gaming consoles, DVD players, digital camcorders and video cards. This cable was replaced with composite video and digital video standards such as HDMI and DVI. The conversion of this cable to the composite signal is so easy, many retailers use the power adapter converter electronics for signal conversion.

s-video cable

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Actually Composite was the first consumer grade cable, then came S-Video, which separates the luma and chroma, giving a slightly richer and clearer picture. But now most computers no longer output S-Video, and would require a converter. Also, S-Video is SD (Standard Definition), so you can't go any higher rez than 720x480 with it (in the US anyway). The the entire world is moving away from that, so investing in that tech is a losing proposition. That's why i recommend just going straight into HDMI, which all modern TVs support.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Those prices on s-video cables are pretty bad, actually. You'd do better just to go to Amazon.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

what he said