iPods, can they be made to pause?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
ChurchCat

iPods, can they be made to pause?

Post by ChurchCat »

In the quest for ever lighter kit I would like to go out singing (solo vocalist not karaoke) with an iPod and a couple of speakers.

The only problem is that my Minidisc system pauses at the end of the track whilst I waffle at the audience. The iPod has no such auto pause/cue feature. Is there any way to make it do this?

I expect that there are a lot of singers that visit this forum so I am hoping that one of you knows. :D

Is there any feature of kJams that can help in this regard?

If not, what is the lightest most compact system that you have come across for solo singers?

ChruchCat

dave
Site Admin

press the button?

Post by dave »

why not just press the play/pause button?
kJams does not run on the iPod, it only exports a movie, that you play on the iPod.

ChurchCat

Re: press the button?

Post by ChurchCat »

dave wrote:why not just press the play/pause button?
kJams does not run on the iPod, it only exports a movie, that you play on the iPod.
By the time you have hung on to that last note and taken your bow the next track will have started. I have been looking for an ultra portable machine that will auto-cue for some time now.

Lots of singers face the same problem, I am surprised that there are not more ready made solutions. In the karaoke world the CD+G players all have a mode that pauses at the end of the track. I would like a hack/plugin for the iPod that would make it do the same thing.

CC

p.s. That was NOT a hint that you should write a plugin Dave. You are doing a fantastic job getting kJams up and running. Just keep your mind focussed on that. :D :wink:

dave
Site Admin

The instant I can, I will

Post by dave »

Well I just want to let you know that Apple so far does not allow third parties to run programs on the iPod. The Games they sell on ITMS were hand selected by Apple and hand tuned by Apple (tho they came from third parties). But the rest of the planet of software developers are NOT allowed to run programs on the iPod.

The moment that Apple releases an SDK and allows 3rd parties to write software for the iPod, I *will* be porting kJams over to it.

Have you seen this?
http://www.numark.com/products/product_ ... view&n=169
or this?
http://www.numark.com/products/product_ ... view&n=132

ChurchCat

Re: The instant I can, I will

Post by ChurchCat »

dave wrote:Well I just want to let you know that Apple so far does not allow third parties to run programs on the iPod. The Games they sell on ITMS were hand selected by Apple and hand tuned by Apple (tho they came from third parties). But the rest of the planet of software developers are NOT allowed to run programs on the iPod.

The moment that Apple releases an SDK and allows 3rd parties to write software for the iPod, I *will* be porting kJams over to it.

Have you seen this?
http://www.numark.com/products/product_ ... view&n=169
or this?
http://www.numark.com/products/product_ ... view&n=132
They are interesting but not really what is needed for a solo singer. I would probably be better served buying a reconditioned 12" Macbook and installing kJams on it.

CC

dave
Site Admin

plus an external drive

Post by dave »

Keep in mind the internal drives on laptops are not CD+G capable. (tho i hear the high end MacBookPro drive works)

ChurchCat

Re: plus an external drive

Post by ChurchCat »

dave wrote:Keep in mind the internal drives on laptops are not CD+G capable. (tho i hear the high end MacBookPro drive works)
Thanks Dave, I intend getting an external drive as soon as I can source one in the U.K.

CC

panicBoy

Post by panicBoy »

My solution, and I've pondered this one in the past, is to create a 5-minute silent track and insert it between all your tracks. That way you would simply advance to your next song.

If you plan on waffling for more than 5 minutes at a clip... perhaps auto-pausing isn't your biggest concern at the mo'.

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

8)