Audio output balancing and volume.

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
jturk1000

Audio output balancing and volume.

Post by jturk1000 »

I'm using KJams Pro on my Macbook - and am using an M-Audio FastTrack Pro as a USB interface between my computer and my crossover/amps. I have twin wireless microphones (on one receiver) plugged into input one on the front of the M-Audio.

A few problems I'm having: 1. My DJ software has a nice sound equalizer that gives me nice balance between my highs and lows - however KJams does not. So my output is a little muddy. 2. Since KJams uses a volume slider (just like iTunes), this is my only volume control for the music - and at 100% volume, it is not as loud as what I can produce using my standard DJ software (which incorporates a main and channel volume). 3. And most importantly, since my microphones are plugged into the M-Audio, their volume operates independently from the KJams slider. On the M-Audio, I can balance the volume of the music with respect to the microphone, but the only volume control I have for the microphone is a single knob that raises or lowers the output signal. When I'm kickin' the volume up on the music, I can't get the microphone volume high enough without CRAZY feedeback... (and yes, the out level on my microphone receiver is cranked).

Argh.... Thoughts?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Audio output balancing and volume.

Post by dave »

when you say "crossover/amps" do you mean "mixer"?

most pro's use an analog mixer.

1) i've not yet gotten around to writing the EQ, but i will eventually. meanwhile, you may want to try AudioHijack

2) you will need to amp the audio in your mixer. amping a digital audio stream in software causes clipping.

3) you need to have a post-amp on BOTH your music and your mics. so you mix your music and mic so it's nice, then turn them BOTH up with the post amp. this is done in your mixer.

jturk1000

Post by jturk1000 »

I have to say, although I've DJ'd for years, I'm pretty new to Karaoke. As far as I know, the M-Audio FastTrack Pro allows me to preamp the USB signal prior to it getting to my crossover (Behringer Super-X pro 2310) - then from here I go out to two Behringer EP4000 amps (one for my sub and one for my mains). So far, I have not needed an external mixer, as my DJ software allows me to "mix" tracks and also has built in EQ.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

kjams outputs a single audio stream, so there's nothing for it to "mix" (as in combine multiple audio streams and adjust their levels indepenedently). if you need EQ on that single audio stream produced by kJams, just use AudioHijack, which will do all the EQ and effects you could ever want to the kJams audio stream. including adding a post-amp.

since you're using something completely outside kJams for your microphones (and you should be for best results), the mix of the kJams audio and your mics is totally out of my hands, or perhaps i don't exactly understand how i can help you with this?

dizzidecazz

Post by dizzidecazz »

Hi,

I do it all without an analog mixer but it ain't all that simple to set up but once it's done, it's ready to go.

Firstly, I run all my Karaoke files through this free utility http://homepage.mac.com/beryrinaldo/Aud ... acMP3Gain/ which basically balances out the levels of all the MP3s so they're in the same ball park. I then use the Remember Song Volume setting in kJams for adjustments. This way, a lot of the mixing is already done and adjustements only need be made once. The downside is, you have to unpack all your zip files and despite my best efforts and others on this forum, I've yet to find a good way to zip them all back up, so it takes a lot more drive space. Some people here have had success dong it though.

I then use another free utility called Soundflower. http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/ which allows me to send the output of kJams to a software mixer I've created in Mainstage, part of the Apple Logic Studio Suite. To use Soundflower with your M-Audio box, you need to set up an 'aggregate device' in the Audio MIDI setup utility (found in the utilities folder in your applications folder). I think there's help on the Soundflower site.
Mainstage Mixer Screenshot
Mainstage Mixer Screenshot
Here I Have mixer channels for the backing track, 2 Mics, Echo and Reverb. Therer's also smaller controls for 2 additional mics if needed. There's a lot going on behind the scenes on this mixer but you get the idea. The point is, using Soundflower, you can send the signal from kJams to another software mixer. I wouldn't be surprised if you found that your DJ mixer could take a line from kJams using Soundflower.

For interests sake, here's some of the nifty things I have on the Mainstage mixer. The kJams channel has a boost setting which has a level control so if a track is quiet, I can quickly turn it on though I tend not to use it as the process above of changing the level in kJams means once I set the level for a track once, it'll be right the next time. The backing track actually feeds into a limiter so that I won't get digital clipping if I do turn it up and it'll will only go as loud as where I have the level usually, so I can't blast ears accidentally.
The vocal channels have some EQ to roll of the very lows and boost the highs and some compression to help the vocals sit above the track. There's is a tap tempo button on the Echo so I just need to tap along in time with the track and the echos will match. I also, have the echos going into a very heavy compressor that is triggered by the vocal channels so that when a person is singing, the echos are turned right down but they are there in the gaps. This really stops the echo muddying up the performance and just shine through in the gaps. I have also stripped the mixer down to big basic controls with smaller controls for some other details. This makes it usable by pretty much anyone. I also have a simple script that launches the mixer and kJams with one icon. Nice touch.

I hope this has been some help.

Damien

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

what he said.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

I've played a bit with SoundFlower, and it's definitely a great utility to have around! I tried using an app called Detour that was part of the HiJack suite, but it never worked well for me - SoundFlower worked perfectly.

I'm one of those that use big fancy analog mixers, but I still may check out MainStage, as it looks pretty useful to have in the arsenal as well. I always like to have more than one way of doing things available, in case, heaven forbid, one method breaks.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I promise you that if anything "breaks" within kJams i will pounce on it ASAP and fix it. and i'll talk to you personally. and i'll handle every single email you send to me, personally. and i'll answer every forum question. I'm not sure if the other developers do that.

kenwardc

Post by kenwardc »

I then use the Remember Song Volume setting in kJams for adjustments.
ermmmm <dumb look adopted> Where is this setting in Kjams Pro please?

Cheers
Chris

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Highlight the song(I think it has to be playing) and go to your controls menu- Brendan

kenwardc

Post by kenwardc »

<groan>

Thanks! :)

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

I note that dizzidecazz uses MacMP3Gain and looking at the http://homepage.mac.com/beryrinaldo/Aud ... acMP3Gain/ website it seems to give me the answer to a problem I'm having
I have a KJ working for me and I cannot get it through to her to keep the volume lower. She has most of the tracks played at a reasonable volume but when a track comes on that she likes, she could wake the dead with it. Short of sacking her will MacMP3Gain help to keep the volume sweet
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i am under the impression that it would yes, but it won't prevent her from turning up the volume

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

Good , superb, outstanding, magnificent, exceptional, marvelous, wonderful, first-rate, first-class, sterling; satisfactory, acceptable, not bad, great, OK, A1,, hunky-dory, ace, terrific, fantastic, fabulous, fab, top-notch, blue-chip, blue-ribbon, bang-up, killer, class, awesome, wicked; smashing, brilliant.
I so pleased
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock: