Song List Generator v3.5..2 on Macintosh?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
waynegfx

Song List Generator v3.5..2 on Macintosh?

Post by waynegfx »

Has anyone ever used a program like crossover or something like that to make a windows program like Song List Generator v3.5..2 work on Macintosh? I am trying everything to get a song list printed and have tried all the tips mentioned on this forum. I am having a horrible time and can't get anything that looks good, with the right spacing. Any help would be so appreciated.....I have my first show hosting by myself this Wed. night.....Help!!!!!!!!!

dave
Site Admin

Re: Song List Generator v3.5..2 on Macintosh?

Post by dave »

what do you mean "the right spacing"? i just use tab-stops and everything lines up perfectly.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

If it would help you feel a little less stressed, I might be around Wednesday night if you want some help. Just fire up iChat during your show if you are having a problem and I can take a look at things to make sure things run as smoothly as possible.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

please email me so we can figure this out

Update: we did figure it out

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Wait, song books, what are those? ;) http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Server

waynegfx

Post by waynegfx »

iJams is great, but not everyone who comes to my show has them. Therefore I need books to show what I have. I figured out that I can print in Excel and save as PDF and print from there. It worked great and I printed with "Artists" in the first column and then "Songs" in the First Column so I have two different books, one with (Artists) and one with (Songs) alphabetized. This program is fantastic. Wayne

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yep, that's how ya do it !

:D

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

No worries, Wayne. It was just a little inside joke, seeing as it is well known around here that I went all in, bought a bunch of broken, surplus iBooks, refurbed them myself, and now run completely without books. In the end, it is probably even cheaper, since I never have to reprint.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

aantix

Post by aantix »

DeusExMachina wrote:No worries, Wayne. It was just a little inside joke, seeing as it is well known around here that I went all in, bought a bunch of broken, surplus iBooks, refurbed them myself, and now run completely without books. In the end, it is probably even cheaper, since I never have to reprint.
I just read about the $35 PC that the Indian government hopes to release next year and thought to myself that they would be perfect for such use.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yep that'd be swell.

also you can get old ipod touches for < $100 on ebay.

when a singer asks for one, trade them for car keys and drivers lic, so you know you'll get 'em back.

dizzidecazz

Post by dizzidecazz »

Hi,

I use excel as a brief intermediary between kJams and a Filemaker Database I set up which sorts songs and groups them by Artist (or song).
Karaoke List screenshot
Karaoke List screenshot
I think this looks much neater. It also allows me to do things like taking the ", The" from the end of an Artists name and putting it at the front whilst retaining alphabetical order, eg. 'The Beatles' go under B but reads correctly.

I also find that by grouping songs by Artist, you get a good quick look at the list of artists to see when you might have slightly different names, like "Prince & The Revolution" vs "Prince and The Revolution" (which I just noticed I have an example in my screenshot above. :oops: . This is good if you're fussy about keeping your metadata slick. Getting it all sorted also helps kJams find duplicates.

Damien

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

While those tablets would be great, I have to say, their track record (the Indian government) is not very good, so I'll believe it when I see it. But if they come out, you can bet I will be one of the first in line to get one. They seem perfect!
For now, though, I am happy with my iBooks, which when all is said and done, ran me about $75, including parts (labour was free!)
I also used one EeePC701, which I Iater sold (too small) running XP, and currently use another EeePC900 (which I also plan to sell) running WIn7, and three Fujitsu Lifebooks with touch screens.
The iBooks are the best solution, by FAR, and are preferred by even the WIndows people out there.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock: