Upgrade sheds Plugins

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Sedge

Upgrade sheds Plugins

Post by Sedge »

Dave,

Is it a normal and expected thing to have to re-install plugins after each upgrade? It seems I have had to do so after the last few. I know I was at d50r70 with both Burner and Producer working, after suffering through some of the madness of kJams asking to update both, and not really updating either (but downloading the plugins and installing them manually worked fine

Then I updated to d50r71, and I think I needed to re-install Producer. I did so from the download I used with r70. I probably didn't check Burner, as I didn't need to use it (I don't really burn discs that often).

Now I've updated to d51r0, and Producer still seems to be there (I have the option in the proper menu) but Burner's missing again.

No big deal if we just need to re-install the plugins after each upgrade, but I doubt this is as you intended. (And since I didn't check Burner prior to upgrading to d51r0, this issue may already be fixed, and a thing of the past.)

The only other upgrade issue is that back in the day, kJams would automatically restart after the upgrade. The last few have not done this, and I need to click on my dock icon to start up kJams post-upgrade.

Little things, not really bugs, barely even annoyances.

>>Sedge
(Oh, and thanks for my gig last weekend - fire capacity was 100, 1/2 hour after doors opened, the head count was at 150, over 250 came through the venue that night. 22 singers, some with multiple songs, as well as raffles and other stuff going on, and NO technical issues. The ShowScreen feature was huge, and used throughout the evening, especially during non-karaoke segments. HUGE SUCCESS!)

dave
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade sheds Plugins

Post by dave »

Is it a normal and expected thing to have to re-install plugins after each upgrade?
no certainly not. you should know me better than that. i don't do things like that.

these things are BUGS. i hate them as much as you do. definitely bugs. not restarting is a bug too. gar.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

As a note, just upgraded d51 to d51r1. Application did not automatically restart. Producer plugin still there. Burner plugin not, but I don't think I got around to installing it into d51. Installing now. (so I can update you on the next upgrade)

Installed Burner (1.0a14). kJams was running during install, so I restarted it. Now Producer is gone. Re-installing Producer (shutting down kJams first)...

Reinstalled Producer, (1.0d3), started kJams. Now Burner is no longer there. Shutting down kJams again, re-installing Burner.

Reinstalled Burner, started kJams. Now Producer is gone again.

OK - this is going nowhere. I don't seem to able to get both Burner and Producer to work at the same time. I am going to reinstall Producer now, because I use that more.

Oh, weird. This time I DIDN'T shut down kJams, and just installed Producer. After I installed Producer, I shut down kJams, and then started it up again - and both Burner and Producer are working.

I hope this helps... but you can see how I could have come to the conclusion that the upgrade was at fault, if one installation is somehow blocking the other if kJams is shut down... when those upgrades for the plug-ins came out, and got a bit screwy with notifications, and I ended up installing both (likely while kJams was shut down, as I was tired of dealing with upgrade warnings), I may have only really got one in there, or something.

Still, minor annoyance. Although I paid for Burner, and it's nice when I need it (once or twice a year), Producer (which I havent paid for, just use it to edit Show Screens) is what gets used a few time a month, at least. As long as I can keep at least Producer installed, and install Burner just when I need it, I should be fine. (as long as I remember to check Producer to make sure it's installed after I'm done with Burner.)

>>Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

just upgraded d51 to d51r1. Application did not automatically restart
oops, that was my bug. fixed.
<user describes going in circles getting nowhere
now, this is the point at which you would get me on ichat so i can actually debug the problem. because, if you keep fiddling and working around until the problem goes away, then i have no chance to FIX it. i need to be able to see this IN ACTION myself, and poke at the logs and poke at your system, so i can find out what is going wrong. otherwise i'm just as in the dark as you and the next user who won't bother reporting the problem and will just be frustrated.

PLEASE if you can repeatedly create a problem, contact me right away and let me see it for myself! then i can actually FIX it so it never happens. as it is, the golden opportunity is now gone. unless you can re-create it. can you?

anyway i DO appreciate the report in any case, thanks.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Yes, I can reproduce - just (re)installed burner, knocked out producer. Trying to figure out iChat. I have very account type BUT that one.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Thanks for trying, Dave - we'll catch up Tuesday night. I did set permissions as per your link, and then tried installing Producer with kJams shut down. I looked in the kJams Plugins folder, and sure enough, Burner (which was there when I set permissions) was gone, and Producer was there!) I'm assuming (and going out on a limb) that this doesn't happen when kJams is running because kJams is locking the installed plugin file from being deleted, but if kJams is stopped, no locking. I wouldn't be surprised if the install script is deleting and re-creating the entire folder (kJams Plugins) with each install, if it can, although the Atomic Parsley is still there throughout this. I suppose it could be installing this as part of both plugin installs as well. Or, perhaps none of this. Anyway, Tuesday we shall see.

>>Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

k, we'll totally figure it out :)