Make own Karaoke-Files

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
singwas

Make own Karaoke-Files

Post by singwas »

Can you suugest any (mac(software, to make my own Karaoke-Videos? Not CDG, just video? There are a lot of mp3 without voice, so i d like to synchronize the text. I only know it griffin tune prompter. Is there anything else?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Make own Karaoke-Files

Post by dave »

Tuneprompter is the best software i've found for syncing lyrics. i DO plan on making my own but haven't got to it yet.
you can start in tuneprompter, then bring the result into kJams to sweeten it, then export that to high rez, and if you're like rich you can bring THAT into After Effects to add your video and other effects :)

singwas

Post by singwas »

Yes really a mac like software.

But i have a problem. I dont succeed in embedding background videos!
Within tune prompter it works fine, the video is shown. But after exporting the video the background turns to black, only the text is shown. I tried a lot of video files to import, and the same with export.

I loaded the tune prompter file (*****.ktp, Size only 4kb), to kjams. It was shown on the screen, but only text - not the background video.

What is wrong?

edit: if i choose a picture (jpg), it will work. After exporting the video, the text is upon the background picture. The same with loading the ktp directly to kjams. Everything is fine.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

That is a long-standing bug in KTP. There is nothing you can do about it. Instead, you can use a work around:
Open the file in KTP, choose "Layout Inspector" from the "Format" menu (or hit ⌘L) and change the background colour to green. Save as a video file. Next open it in iMovie, along with the video you want as background. First drag your background video into the project pane, and then drag your ktp video on top of it, and select "green screen" from the shortcut menu. Adjust the video as necessary and save. Done.

singwas

Post by singwas »

Thanks. Funny - i didnt find any hint that there might be a bug in the google-World ;)
A good solution to use iMovie. Unfortunately i havent found a color-combination (highlightets and not) for the text.

Black text appears in iMovie used as a layer like "transparent", and white text like non-transparent = black.

I want to make footage-videos with live-concert videos as background. To my opinion it would be best to have white text and red highlight.

Do you have an idea?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

It all depends on the footage. Lots of red stage lights will make the highlights hard to see, but that is less important for the highlights. Same thing for white letters if the footage is bright. Best to just watch the vide and select an unused colour.
Another trick you can pull is to make the highlights the background colour, effectively making the lyrics disappear into the concert footage as they are sung.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

also take note: kJams eliminates KTP elements that can not be burned to a CD+G disc, ie: videos. i plan on relaxing this restriction provided the user understands that they'll be burning DVDs and not CD+G discs, i just haven't got around to it yet.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave:
The issue here is that KTP is useless for the video part, because even though it SAYS it can do a video background, a long standing bug prevents it from working correctly. As such, the only way to do it is to just do the lyric timing inside KTP, and the save as a standard video, then using something else, such as iMovie, to add the video element under the lyrics, and then resave, again as a video. So all kJams sees is the video file.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yeah, so you're talking about exporting a MOVIE from KTP. well, if you do that, you can't use the goodness of kJams Producer to sweeten your lyrics before you add the background movie. what you WANT to do is save the KTP file, then open the KTP file itself in kJams, and fix up all your timings, add titles etc. then export the movie FROM kJams, then bring THAT into iMovie and add the video background.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

That will work fine, as long as you get the video background a shade of green before you export!

gogolf123

Post by gogolf123 »

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I too am having trouble exporting from KTP.

Dave, you mentioned 'saving as a video file, then opening the file in iMovie' but when I go to 'Save As' in KTP, I do not have other file options (only .ktp ---which, as you said, is not a video file, its a text file). Also, I movie doesn't recognize a .ktp file, so I am not following how some people are laying the .ktp file over a video background.

I am having the same trouble as Singwas, I can create a perfect file in KTP ,but trying to export it has been such a headache. I want to keep the video in the background, but when I export to kJams, the video is lost, and only the word show up.

Has anyone had success exporting to Quicktime (through whatever means-- whether it was indirectly through KJams or iMovie)?

I would really appreciate any help, I am stuck at the creation phase, and would love to create a finished product.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

First, you have to remember that KTP is a pretty buggy piece of software. And if you are waiting for Griffin Technologies to release an update, you will be waiting a VERY long time.
That said, to save a video, you don't use "Save as…", you first set format in Preferences, then select "Create Movie…" from the file menu.
You can also try to export as a QT movie from kJams, and then use iMovie or After Effects, or some other app, to composite them together. The major limitation to iMovie, however, is that it only allows green and blue screen chromakeying (overlaying one video on top of another, and then making a colour in the top video transparent, so that the video signal underneath it shows through) and kJams (currently) only supports a black background.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

What he said.

gogolf123

Post by gogolf123 »

Thanks! I'll try that.

dave
Site Admin