A handy kJams Launcher app

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
DeusExMachina

A handy kJams Launcher app

Post by DeusExMachina »

Instead of sleeping, I spent all night obsessing over an issue that had been buggin me for a while.
The issue: Exposé hot corners and Spaces can ruin your show by causing the video window to tile on the screen, or even worse, slide off the screen altogether. I have hashed the problem around with our Dave for a while with no solution.
So I decided to solve the problem in another way. The result: kJams Launcher. This little app saves all your Spaces and Exposé hot corner settings and then turns them all off. Once it does this, it launches kJams for you. When you are done with your night, running the app again, quits kJams and restores your settings. It is even smart enough to deal with sad occurrence of kJams crashing on you (not that it would ever do that!) and will restore your settings after you relaunch, as long as you once again quit with the program.
If you kernel panic or do something dumb like pull your battery out while the power cord is not plugged in, though, you're on your own!
I have included the source, so if you are industrious and want to modify it, e.g. to make it launch Lite instead of Pro, or to do other things (like maybe turning audio notification off in Adium or iChat (still working on that) you are welcome to do so.
I made a little icon for it, but including it in the file makes bigger than the 256k allowed, so you'll have to copy and past the ICNS into the app if it strikes your fancy.
Hope someone finds this helpful!
Attachments
kJamsLauncher.zip
the icon
(117.66 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
kJams Pro Launcher.app.zip
The app
(34.58 KiB) Downloaded 306 times

dave
Site Admin

Re: A handy kJams Launcher app

Post by dave »

yay! :shock:

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yeah,that took WAY longer than it should have. A testament to my programming "skills." ;)

aantix

Post by aantix »

Why not just run kJams under it's own user account?
Nonetheless, great work!

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, for my uses, I like having access to other things in my user account. Not just e-mail and IM (which I sometimes use in conjunction) but other things as well. I tried running in a separate account for a while, but I ran into a number of situations where not having access to my stuff got to be problematic.
Maybe I was just ~/Sick?

DeusExMachina

Home sick

Post by DeusExMachina »

Ah, Unix humour

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

By the way, the real point here is for those more industrious (and yes, talented) than mayself to use this as a FOSS-y foundation to add whatever other code they want to do setups for kJams. Like start Audio Recorder (which I use to make highlighted snippets of songs to play back once a singer completes a song) automatically with kJams, change key layouts, or do whatever else someone wants to automate that they always do when setting up a show. Hope others find this useful as a template of sorts.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)