First party- everything was smooth....

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
DH44

First party- everything was smooth....

Post by DH44 »

First party last night- about 25 friends over and the debut of the Mac and kJams. Everything went fine and the sound was perfect, no hiccups in the graphics or anything. None of the people singing really came up and had a list of songs they wanted to put in the rotation. So the whole night it was essentially search the library for the song, play it, then find the next.
Which brings me to ask-
Would it be possible to make some "playlist" that was just a list of the current fields with a "singer" field added? I realize that wouldn't be taking advantage of the full range of kJams capabilities but it would sure be nice for "recreational" users.
Anyway- great product, I'll start going through the "bad kmas" and try and re-load them.

dave
Site Admin

Re: First party- everything was smooth....

Post by dave »

that's actually a popular feature request, and yes i definitely plan on adding that. probably not right away tho...

DH44

Post by DH44 »

dave wrote:that's actually a popular feature request, and yes i definitely plan on adding that. probably not right away tho...
When you do send me your Paypal address again :wink: :wink: :wink:

DH44

Post by DH44 »

OK Dave, I'm going to resurrect this from the distant past...
I'm still looking for the ability to create a single playlist that has a "singer" field that can be typed in on the fly....

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

thank you for reminding me! that is high on the list!! :D

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

You can already fudge this for now using either the Singer Nickname, Comment, or Duet Comment field. Just remember to "zero" them out at the end of the event by selecting them all and entering in "-" for one of the tracks in your list.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

Ok, I have a question. I see the "Duet Comment", but how do I use it? I see it, but I can't edit it lol.

And can that option be added to the server request (and wtkjams/ijams too) somehow so that people requesting songs from their phones can use it?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, here's the thing: that field was my little idea. It's purpose was to act as a stand in, until such time as a real dueting system was designed. But it was also made clear that that would not be any time soon, and that, further more, no new code was going to be added to work with that field.
So how i envisioned it to be used was for the host to type into that field the name(s) of the other singer(s) of a given track in the rotation, so that they would know how to deal with them, either to call them up, or to bounce the other singer from their own solo slot, so as not to let people sing over and over again multiple times every rotation. The role of the field was just to serve as a note to self.
That said, it should be editable, just as "Singer nickname" (another addition of mine, intended for people who have a given name, but want to have a stage name, especially if one or both are common enough to cause duplicates, which wreaks havoc if you are using server).
Just click once to select a track, then click and pause until the field becomes editable.
Personally I'd use Singer Nickname for this, as it makes more logical sense (to my OCD) but either works fine.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

all set now?

yes whenever i get around to the "duet" feature you'll be able to use it from wtkJams

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

Hmmm... ok.. I played around a bit.

Duet Comment isn't editable through the Rotation or KJ Rotation screens as far as I can tell... Singer Nickname is, however, it changes the nickname for all the songs that person sings. :/

I'll just keep rolling the way I'm rolling for now. I've actually been brushing up on my HTML and java. If there's a way I can put it in... I'll find it lol

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

That is a bug. They used to be, and still should be editable in the kJR.

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

Alot of them aren't. Duet Comment, Trim Start/End, Comment (unless I go to "Get Info")...

Can you try it on your end?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I did, they aren't, and some should be. Bug.

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

Yeh pretty much all of them that start off with a - I can't edit

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you generally can NOT edit in the Rotation, since it is a "Smart Playlist" (it is created for you)
you can edit all those things in the regular playlists.

that said, some things DO make sense to enable editing in the Rotation. which ones do you need? note that the edit can apply to either the singer, the singer's song, or the song in the Library (they are distinct, eg: pitch in the rotation or singer applies to a singer's song, not to the library).

note a singer's nickname belongs to the singer, you can't have the same singer have a different nickname each time thru the rotation.