First party- everything was smooth....

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
DeusExMachina

Re: First party- everything was smooth....

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave, he is also saying that they aren't editable in the kJRotation. This includes Duet Comment, which only makes sense to be editable in the kJR.

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

Yeh I agree that most things really don't need to be edited through the rotation. Duet Comment most definitely should be tho.

I'm having problems editing all of these everywhere tho. Like where would SMS Number be editable in the Venue list beside the singer's name? Not that I think I'll actually use this feature.. I'm just wondering if it's just my machine or if I'm doing something wrong lol

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

I should clarify.. They're all editable in the Library... but I'm pretty sure these songs don't have their own SMS number lol

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

so is "duet comment" tied to the singer? then whenever you see that singer in the Rotation you'll see the same "duet comment"

is it tied to the song? then you'll see it whenever you see that song, anywhere

is it tied to the singer's song? then whenever that singer sings that song, you'll see that "duet comment"

i guess the last is the least strange

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

Hmm... I see what you mean. Probably the last I would imagine. No way for the value to reset after the song is complete?

I think for the purpose in what it's used for tho, I would use what DuexExMachina uses in the Singer Nickname, and then change it back when the song is over.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yes, the latter. Though the first one is not too problematic since, the host really is not referring to the Rotation list, and users are not seeing the Duet Comment field in wtkJams (the only place they would currently see the Rotation!).
Ideally, it would also do lots of other things, but remember, it is really only a kludge for now, since duets are important, and potentially confusing, but you had not planned on tackling that any time soon. So really it is just serving as a scratch pad for the host to remind themselves who is singing with whom (and whom to bounce lower in the rotation on account of them having already sung in a duet) which is why I thought of using it here, since here it doing the same thing, serving as a scratch pad for the host to indicate who is singing what.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

I found it! Ok dave.. I'm sorry. I just went into the singer listed under the venue and could edit the Duet Value there.

That makes sense to me

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

Resurrecting this for a sec...

Question. Is it possible for one to add "Duet Comment" to what the singer sees in their "Tonight" section in the browser server? I'm looking through the code where I could play around with it, but I'm a little lost. My coding is horrifically out of date. lol

If it's possible, where do I look?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Currently no. You'll have to convince Dave to push that out from the server, and since this is not really an official function (duets will eventually be handled for real) I suspect this won't happen.
That said, it might be nice if instead of a text field, we got a pop up populated with the current venue's singer, just as we have on the login screen.
This is easy, and actually, I suspect, if we got THAT pushed out to the web clients, plays into whatever the eventual dueting function will be.
Maybe?
Yes?

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

So kind of like:

Check Duet ---> Pop Up Singer Value ----> OK?

That would be a heck of alot better than a text field for sure. I do think that access to the Duet checkbox/Duet Comment would be a simple solution for handling duets.

Too bad. I was gonna try and take a crack at it. lol

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sorry, but you're asking for more official support for the current hack, which, as Mark pointed out, i am not really interested in doing.

I WILL eventually be fully supporting "Duets" in version 2 in an elegant way, and at that point it will be easy and yes you'll be able to use wtkJams and the web server to set the duets.

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

No worries dave! :). I just thought that if pitch could be changed, the comment box could be too.

I was hoping to save you some work

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

heh, well, think of it this way:

the "pitch" code is a "popup menu" type of user interface element (limited choice list). but a "comment" is plain text, accepting arbitrary text input of arbitrary size. for the web code (the html served), new code would have to be written to support that, and that would have to be tested. Likewise the server code (entirely separate from the client code) would have to be written to back up the web client code. Also, the wtkJams code and the iJams code would also have to be changed to accomodate for a new input type, a new "sort column" as it were. All these things were written by others, not by me.

Now, if it's JUST kJams, the app kJams, yes, it is trivial for me to add any type of column and the user interface widgets to edit them will just "show up", but it's TONS of work and testing to have these changes show up in the web server, the web client, and the two (soon three) smartphone clients.

Since i'd HAVE to take on all that overhead to get any new feature like this into the server, i'm definitely not going to do just a hack that i'll be changing later anyway. I'd rather invest in designing it right and implementing it in an awesome way, when i get to it.

Krisko

Post by Krisko »

Hehe.. Yeh I figured that even if it were possible, it's be a little over my head.

Best to leave it to the professionals. :)

Kjams really is the best karaoke solution out there. Thanks for all the work you put into it!