External CD+G Compatible Reader/Writer

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Garyoke

External CD+G Compatible Reader/Writer

Post by Garyoke »

I used to have a PC tower that I used to rip my CD+G discs (had an internal HP drive that worked beautifully). Now I'm looking for an external (either USB or FireWire, but FireWire preferred) drive that can read/write CD+G.

I've looked all over the web and found multiple lists of compatible drives. Most of them are internal; and almost all of the lists are so outdated that the drives have been discontinued by the manufacturer.

I have a Fry's locally and was looking there, and saw a few drives that could read CD+G (well, actually they could read CD-text, which apparently uses the same subcode channels). But didn't see any that could write to that format (apparently requires DAO/96).

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a currently available drive that works well and is not outrageously priced (e.g. $150+).

Thanks!
--G

dave
Site Admin

Re: External CD+G Compatible Reader/Writer

Post by dave »

Garyoke

Post by Garyoke »

Yes, saw that list and added those drives to my shopping list.

However, I discovered this one: LG External GE20 Super Multi DVD Rewriter 20X at Best Buy for $79.99. kJams reports that it doesn't read CD+G, but it actually works beautifully reading, playing and ripping from CD+G discs. I haven't tried burning yet. That comes this weekend.

--G

Garyoke

Post by Garyoke »

Oh-oh... just saw the thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=982. The culprit there (LG GE20-LU10 ) is apparently a cousin to my drive, the GE20-LU11). I'll let you know how it does this weekend.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

rut-roh!

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

if you *used to have a tower* with a good CDG-RW, then make sure you pull that out before getting rid of the tower - even if it means swapping some $20 cheapo CD player in it. Then, for a pittance, you can buy a 5.25 CD Drive caddy, and use your already known good drive as an external. This proven method beats the pants off playing roulette at Best Buy.

Garyoke

Post by Garyoke »

Nope... sucker's been gone for nearly a year now.
:cry:

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:cry: