what do you play between singers?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Brendan

what do you play between singers?

Post by Brendan »

I am wondering what type of filler music KJ's here use between singers. Do you play music or use a collage of songs? A KJ where i frequent uses old theme songs from tv shows (I dont know if i like that much) . Does anyone know of a program i can download that will let me mix a few songs together? I would like to play a minute of two or three songs back to back, maybe with a little fade in between songs. Can Garage band do this? I want to be able to burn a cd like this

Sedge

Re: what do you play between singers?

Post by Sedge »

I have a couple of sources for filler music. One is an iPod that has a playlist continually playing of instrumental mixes and house/techno music. This is what plays when waiting for a singer to come up. I also have bumper lists of music from different genres, that I play through dJay, which uses the iTunes library/playlist. It is running out of a separate audio output (I use the headphone jack and a USB audio device) to the board. I use this when taking a break, or for playing songs between singers. It's mainly sorted by genre, to match the mood of the venue.

>>Sedge

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hmm, does Djay allow you to edit pieces of songs together and then burn to CD? I downloaded the demo, i'm thinking about purchasing it.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

garage band does exactly that

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

No, Djay doesn't do anything for burning. However, it will allow you to do pretty much anything you could do with a pair of turntables, record it, and then re-play the sample you created. Also, its automix feature is pretty nice, especially since iTunes did away with Party Mix, and it looks way cooler than iTunes too, if someone's looking over your shoulder. I think it's worth the licensing fee, which isn't much compared to other dj software.

It's really nice to have for those of us who do weddings and other events that only include karaoke as a small part of the show, if at all.

- Sedge

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Yeah, it is pretty cool. I think i'll play around with the demo and see how i like it. I will probably end up purchasing it. Is there a way to crossfade between djay and Kjams?

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

I admit, I cheat. I use two different sound outputs to my board, and handle crossfading there. I also end up rarely going direct from djay to kJams - I use the iPod as an intermediate step - so the crossfade on my board usually goes from kJams to IPod to dJay, then back to iPod, then kJams. This behavior is left over from using iTunes and a single sound output on the laptop.

I've never used the crossfader script, but I'd assume you could adapt it to handle the sound output from djay instead of iTunes.

-Sedge

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hmm, okay i will probably blow up Crossfade if i tweak it :!: I'll stick with itunes and wait for crossfade on kjams. I hear it is coming soon. :D

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)