Creating a CD-G

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Creating a CD-G

Post by HowardBrazee »

I used to have a program that would create a cd-g with me tapping my space bar while reading the lyrics and listening to the music.

But that doesn't work on my 64-bit MacOS.

What are my options in creating a kJams compatible song if I have the music without voice?

dreben

Re: Creating a CD-G

Post by dreben »

Use FCP.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

FCP? Is that Final Cut Pro for $299?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

kJams Light or Pro, with the Burning plug-in, is capable of creating a CD+G from original CD+G digital files. kJams 2 can do it as well and does not need the Burning plug-in because it is built-in.

I would be very surprised to learn that Final Cut is capable of burning a CD+G disk, I think it burns only DVD.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I have an old Mac that runs macOS Mojave, and I use Tune Prompter there, sorry I don’t have better options at the moment

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I downloaded MidiCo, and it looks like it could do the job well. It costs € 29.90 (which includes the ability to make MP3 + CD-G). (I have never ordered anything in anything but dollars before, that is $33.18).

It would certainly be worth it if I could use it to fix typos in karaoke songs I have already purchased, but it can't do that. There are so many typos.

dreben

Post by dreben »

"What are my options in creating a kJams compatible song if I have the music without voice?" FCP is capable to do a compatible KJams songs, but NO CD+G. I'm sorry Dave, you are right.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I tested MidiCo in trial mode and the first song I used had some dashes in the lyrics. That created a problem, as the program uses dashes as a tool to determine when syllables start.

So for that song, I need to tell it that my dashes are real. Or maybe I could put in em-dashes.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, search-replace using em- or en-dash

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Hey all, I'm back after the end of the world, and seeing where I can help out!!!
Howard, I think you are making a mistake fixating on CD+G. It's a dead format, with crappy resolution, poor editability, and little future use.
You should really consider moving forward to resolution-independent file formats.
With that in mind, you can solve all your problems using the MidiCo software you already bought. Leaving aside its clunky, poorly thought out interface, it is still better than nothing on the M1. Just enter the song data as you have been, tap out the lyric timing, then just export to LRC.
KJams is fully capable of reading that LRC and pairing it to your music track, and either playing it directly, using ultrahigh res video if you have it, or converting to CDG if you insist.
Dave, I looked at their native .mdc file format, and, although its not in ASCII plain text, would be pretty straight forward to read directly, but not sure if it's something you want to spend any time on.
That said, it would allow Producer to operate totally in the 64-bit world, once you get around to that, without you having to write your own lyric timing import function.

Alternately, you can automate ALL of this by using Youka. That software is mindblowingly amazing!

Hope some of that helped someone.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:)