Are Two Libraries Possible?

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
steve

Are Two Libraries Possible?

Post by steve »

Kind of a straight forward question. Is it possible to have two separate libraries with KJP? I have a printed book with an old library that I would like to continue to use while I build a much larger library of songs on a separate hard drive. I am reluctant to move songs as per your articles. Thanks.

Karanight

Re: Are Two Libraries Possible?

Post by Karanight »

I don't know if this is any use to you , but I use a singers file as a library and I keep it at the top by using ^ before the name "Library" Each track is unique and I have all the tracks that have ever been played in this library and it makes searching much faster (almost instant).

If the track requested isn't in this library I add it from the main library. I also created a book from this secondary library with just 1735 unique tracks in it and the singers love it because the book isn't full of songs that are never sung.
In the book I've made room at the top and bottom of each page so I can add up to 7 songs to a page and not have to reprint the whole book, which means I can update every month by printing out just the pages with the extra songs on them.
The books therefore have quite a long life and yet remain bang up to date.

Len
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Brilliant!
I really like this approach.
:D

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

steve wrote:Is it possible to have two separate libraries with KJP?
Dave may not advise this, in fact it would surprise me a bit if he would...
but I think the short answer is "Yes", depending on how (if ever) you would want the libraries to interact.

You can change the location of the kJams music folder pretty easily. Personally, mine is located on a USB drive. There's no reason why I couldn't have a completely separate kJams music folder on either another USB drive or on a local hard drive, and just switch between the two by changing the path to the kJams music folder in the program.

HOWEVER: This approach assumes ABSOLUTELY no interaction between the two instances of kJams - for instance, venues, singers, etc may be either really complicated or impossible to transfer between the two instances (libraries, if you will). It also assumes that any imported files saved outside the library (as in, NOT ripped files, but other ones added to the library) will need to be added to each instance separately, and will be even less portable than current. The database and XML references to these files will certainly not match up. Also, any material ripped into one instance of kJams will likely have to be re-ripped or at least re-imported into the second instance - perhaps finding orphaned files can help you here, perhaps not. Also, (nod to Dave) - not sure how the licensing would be affected by such a nonsense move. I assume eSellerate wouldn't act up, but that doesn't mean all is well, legally speaking.

In reality, and practicality, it doesn't make a lot of sense to take this approach, in most cases. I think Len's approach is much more elegant - create a playlist of your current library, and use it for searches, books, etc, until your huge master library is ready. Of course, if you delete songs that are in your "current" library from the master library, replacements would need to be made, but such is life.

>>Sedge

Paul

Post by Paul »

Great thread chaps!

steve

Post by steve »

Thanks everyone for all the help. I think I know now how to proceed from here. :D

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you can have as many libraries as you want as long as you don't need to run them simultaneously, and don't mind sharing all your prefs (tho that can be overcome too)

1: quit kjams
2: go to your user's music folder
3: see the "kJams" folder? put a tilde ("~") in front of it so it reads "~kJams"
4: run again

-->> new and fresh library!

5: quit
6: move the tilde from the old folder to the "new" folder
7: run again

-->> old library is back!