Rip w/ Lombard 400mhz

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
BobFox

Rip w/ Lombard 400mhz

Post by BobFox »

While KJams/Universal Binary version is in development, I'd like to begin ripping my library using an older MAC. For ripping purposes, will the current version of KJams work on a G3 Lombard 400mhz w/ 10.3+ OS? Regrds, BobFox

dave
Site Admin

compatability

Post by dave »

that entirely depends on the drive.
try to rip and see if you get a message "you need a new drive".
if you don't, then you're good to go!

-dave

BobFox

Post by BobFox »

I tried to use kJams with the Mac G3 Lombard. The CD drive shipped with this laptop does not support CD+G.

dave
Site Admin

not compatible with notebooks

Post by dave »

sad but true, you'll need an external drive. check the FAQ for my recommendation.

BobFox

Post by BobFox »

The Lombard drive is a MatshitaDVD-ROM SR-8171. It plays DVDs, so I hoped to read CD+G as well. If the drive works for kJams, shouldn't I just be able to put in the karaoke disk, click on a tune, and see the graphics? Without accessing freedb for song names?

Any chance it could be a firmware issue?

dave
Site Admin

nope :(

Post by dave »

Sorry, Matshita is known to not support CD+G, it's not a firmware issue, it's a hardware issue, the hardware is simply not capable.
If the drive works for kJams...
well, clearly, if the drive *does* work for kJams, that means you will be able to put in a CD+G disc, yes, and press play and see graphics, no need to rip or get any meta info.

BobFox

Post by BobFox »

I have acquired a Mac Lombard PB that is pre-FireWire. It does have SCSI and USB ports.

I'm looking at an external Iomega CD-RW 52x24x52x DVD-ROM 16x USB, model 32886 to use with the Lombard laptop for ripping. My plan is to use this configuration to rip a fairly large CD+G collection onto Maxtor 250gb FireWire/USB external drives. When kJams Universal Binary version becomes available, I hope to simply plug the Maxtor drives into the FireWire port on my new Mac WorkBook Pro and go to work.

Does anyone have any idea if the Iomega model 32886, CD-RW 52x24x52x DVD-ROM 16x USB will work for ripping with kJams?

dave
Site Admin

compatible drives

Post by dave »

You should check here first: What drives are supported?

The only Iomega mentioned are:
Iomega ZipCD 6x4x24x4* / ZipCD 6x4x24x4* / ZIPCD 1536INT* / ZIPCD 3840INT* / CDRW 9600INT*

So it looks like the answer may be no, but please let me know and I'll update the list.

By the way, you will hate the ripping speed of any USB 1.0 drive.

-dave

BobFox

Rip & Rip Speed

Post by BobFox »

Right now, any rip speed would be a lot faster than what I'm getting done presently.

Thanks for the extra info. Is the Iomega 32886 newer than the drive list? Or has it already been tried?

How do you determine if a drive can be used with cd+g? Is it all trial and error? Or is there something specific that one should look for in a new drive that might indicate compatibility with cd+g?

dave
Site Admin

info

Post by dave »

I have no idea about any particular drive, except the ones in the list. I update the list as people tell me what is compatible. Sometimes the drive manufacturer will say right out that they support CD+G format (eg: Plextor), sometimes they don't but it is compatible anyway, and with those it is trial and error.

BobFox

Post by BobFox »

I'm glad that I inquired about drive compatibility.

Looks like I'm going to try a Plextor PX-708UF ext drive with a Belkin firewire cardbus pcmcia card (made for G3 Lombard PBs). Hopefully that will get the ripping done fairly efficiently.

Thanx for the help.

dave
Site Admin

plextor

Post by dave »

An excellent idea! Plextor + FireWire will definitely make you happy! (that's what I use)

-dave