kJams Web Server

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

cost: it would not cost any more, it's all kJams Pro

direction: yes i plan to do a "KJ Web UI" that lets the KJ do all that he needs to do too from the web, but that's for like 2.0.

i'm not sure i see the necesssity of running an SQL DB that we all sync to, tho i am seriously considering moving all of kJams to SQL. Since kJams *IS* a server now, you can just leave it on and THAT is your DB. we could just have a "sync venues" button that, given 2 otherwise identical kJamses both online, sync's the venue info (including singers and rotation).

Nik
Site Admin

Re: :)

Post by Nik »

dave wrote:my web guru genius programmer dude is out of town for the next month, sadly, but i'll try to muddle thru it if anyone reports a serious bug. when he's back i expect we'll be able to nail any remaining issues rather quickly.
I'm back! Keep posting those bugs and ideas :)

_Nik

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

In the notes for the latest update, it says:
when a singer makes a change using the web client (web clients include iphone/itouch), the change is reflected in (KJ)Rotation as well
But I notice in the wiki that you're working on a client for kJams as an app. What I'm wondering is, since I don't have an iPhone to test, can I tell people they can hit the web site with their iPhones to control their own song lists or do I need to wait for the app to come out?

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

wait for the app. the web client uses drag and drop code which is not supported by MobileSafari.

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

Thnkx! First show of the year is tonight!

Brendan

Re: kJams Web Server

Post by Brendan »

Well, i thought i would give this a try. I tried following the instructions on the wiki page however i am stuck on step five where it talks about browsing the bonjour sites for "kJams: <Venue Name> (<machine name>)" Do i need to set up something else? How do i get a bonjour site? I am using Safari- Brendan

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

First, you need to enable your web server in the kJams pref panel. When you do that, it automatically broadcasts your server via Bonjour.

Now, let's say the name of your machine is "Bree", and the name of your Venue is "Prancing Pony".

So go to safari, and go to "Bookmarks->Bonjour->kJams: Prancing Pony (Bree)"

that should get you in the door.

-dave

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Wow! this is pretty amazing!

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Dave, this is a great tool for itouch and iphones. Can you explain why other phones with internet access cannot acces kjams? Is it possible that one day blackberry users can also use this feature? Brendan

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

any internet enabled phone should be able to use this.

if they don't have bonjour, then you'll have to enter the IP address and port number as the URL.

leo-magic

Post by leo-magic »

The Webinterface is not working on safari anymore... only on firefox!

on safari it doesn't load the library and the playlists on the left side.

And with both, safari and firefox: The bouttons "add to favorites"/"tonight" aren't working. Drag & Drop is the only way to do songs in a playlist.

cu, leo

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

From Nik:
Just a quick note on this: I tried it with Safari yesterday and it seemed to work fine. I'll be doing a bit of work on kJams later this afternoon; I'll look into it more then
We're on it.
-dave

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I am lost and confused!

I am trying to allow patrons to login using iPhone (or Android phones if possible). Enabled Kjams Server in Kjams/Preferences/Server. The computer running KJams is a Mac Pro OSX10.9.2 connected to the venue's LAN (via ethernet). Also connected to the same LAN is WIFI (via ethernet).

Understand that iPhone requires a Bonjour browser to connect to KJams. Downloaded Discovery Bonjour Browser on the iPhone. I am not an iPhone user and have limited knowledge of iPhones. Logged into Venue WIFI on the iPhone, but can only find Kjams by going into a Web heading. It also shows the name of the host computer. Clicking on name comes up with copy. No idea what I am doing wrong or why Singer Login window does not come up. Singer Login working with Safari (Bonjour enabled) on the Mac running Kjams.

The Mac Pro does not have Airport. Is it needed? Is this a better way to do it. Appreciate any help!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Understand that iPhone requires a Bonjour browser to connect to KJams
no, only android phones need that. and i don't think there IS a bonjour for droid? is there?

for iPhone, you need wtkJams.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

During my research, when I thought you accessed the interface via Bonjour on either an iPhone or Android phone, I found a Bonjour Browser App for Android at Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... id.bonjour

So, to be clear:
1. If patrons want to access the Singer log-in by iPhone, they must download (and purchase) wtkJams. Yes/No
2. There is no way patrons can log-in using just a browser on their iPhone, without the need to download (and purchase) wtkJams. Yes/No
3. Patrons can log-in without the need for wtkJams if they have a Macintosh laptop (or a desktop strapped to their back) running Safari (with Bonjour), and that Mac can connect to the network on which the Mac running Kjams is connected, (either by connecting directly to the LAN, or by WIFI connected to the LAN in the venue). Yes/No
4. There is no support for Android phone users. Yes/No

Some Points:
1. I appreciate that we are all in business, and that the cost of the wtkJams app is very small. Please understand that I am not grumbling. However, "why do patrons have to pay" will be how I am greeted by the owner of the pub where I am trying to set up the interface.
2. Personally, I would really prefer that users DO NOT have the degree of control or array of options that wtkJams gives them. For various reasons, a simple ability to login, search and add themselves to "Tonight's List" is really all we want to give them.

Appreciate any more info and your comments.