Pitch shifting when playing from the library and storage

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
LittleRobotMan

Pitch shifting when playing from the library and storage

Post by LittleRobotMan »

Hi,

I looking at setting up my dad with KJams and a new ibook to run it on. I downloaded and installed the demo on my own mac and went through the process of ripping in one of my dad's CDG discs to the library. All went very smoothly and played a couple of tunes from the library.

The one thing that puzzled me was that I could see how to shift the pitch if I added a song to the singers list (and did), but, couildn't figure out how to do this if playing a song within the library.

I ask as this is how my dad said that he would use the facility when playing out (too many singers and not enough time to create a singer name for each!). Or, is this the way that you should work with the venue entries so that you add it to the one you are currently playing out at (in terms of a process?).

Second question is a little less specific. I want to get an idea of how many songs you could store (roughly) at 160mbps per 10gb lets say? Something else that was puzzling me, once you have an Mp3 in iTunes and then you rip it in kJams - what is it ripping?:

- The mp3 into 'kTune's library' (and thereby creating a duplicate of the Mp3 stored in iTune's library)?

- Just the graphics part off of the CDG format disc and then adding this to kTune's library. If so, does it then just reference the iTunes stored Mp3 (so that effectively all the music you add stays in iTunes)

I hope these questions are too stupid :-) I'm trying to get my head round it on for my dad who is now champing at the bit having seen the possibility of having it all run on a laptop! I will register him here as 'Groovy Graham' when I hear back - he's not had a mac before and has taught himself how to use the windows PC I built him. His addiction to Karaoke is an impressive driving force!

Also keep up the good work on kJams it was a very easy decision to make comparing the two.

LRM

dave
Site Admin

questions

Post by dave »

You can not permanantly change the pitch of a song (yet) unless the song lives under a singer. For your Dad, make a singer for him, and put all his favorites into his favorites folder. if that's the entire library so be it. then change the pitches in his favorites folder, and play the songs from there, or use the rotation feature.

To temporarily change the pitch of a song in the Library or any other play list, just play the song and, while the song is playing (or paused) use the Controls menu.

I don't understand the question that starts "I ask as this..."

How many songs? I'm not a math guy. I have more than 60,000 songs on my 250GB drive.

If you are ripping using iTunes (does that still work?), then yes, iTunes rips the audio and kJams rips the video. It's much smipler to let kJams do the whole thing, however.

Keep on singin'!

-dave