Help with kJams LAME MP3 export/Quicktime Player/Applescript

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
npavkovic

Help with kJams LAME MP3 export/Quicktime Player/Applescript

Post by npavkovic »

Greetings,

I'm trying to use the kJams MP3 export codec with the Quicktime Player and Applescript. Would like to automate export to MP3 files using Applescript, which requires a 4-character code to identify the type of export. "mp3" is unfortunately one character too short ;-) Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Nick

dave
Site Admin

you mean LAME?

Post by dave »

the MP3 codec i use is LAME, it's not really technically related to kJams.

I presume you're asking about QuickTime Player scripting, sorry i don't know about that.

May i ask why you're doing this? you could just import all your whatevers into kJams, then select all and re-encode them all at once into MP3.

npavkovic

Post by npavkovic »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your note. I guess the problem I'm having, in part, in part has to do with scripting. But == as far as I can tell -- it may have to do with how the QT codec is compiled. All codecs have a name (yours is "LAME MP3"), a type ("spit"), a SubType ("mp3") and a manufacturer tag ("PYeh"). The SubType is theoretically four characters, conceived as a long integer; when scripting an export, you use this tag to identify the codec. Not sure how to reference the LAME codec because its SubType has only 3 characters. Have tried a leading and trailing space, NULL, etc. to no avail.

I'm trying to use the Quicktime Player for this task because I have a number of Quicktime movies with individual songs embedded in separate WMA-encoded tracks. I don't know if kJams would be able to separate the tracks and save each one as a mp3 file. I tried the demo version, but it appear to be able to import the files at all. (Perhaps that's just the demo?)

Thanks again,
Nick

dave
Site Admin

send me a song

Post by dave »

send me a song via email. kjams is pretty good at extracting the audio from just about every file type. if QuickTime can open it then so can kJams in theory, tho i may need to add an extension. be sure to install Perian.

it is 'mp3 ' with a trailing space, and it's 'PYEh' just to be clear

if you're talking multi-track then no, it won't work in kJams.

as a workaround, export AIF, then import THEM into kJams and batch re-encode them to MP3

npavkovic

Post by npavkovic »

Dave,

Thanks again for your quick response! I don't seem to be able to get the export to work via Applescript with "mp3 ", and yes -- they're very odd multi-track files. So I think I'm going for plan B -- export to AIFF (that works!) and then encode as MP3.

Cheers,
Nick

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

8)