Create New Playlist Preset

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
DrussRob

Create New Playlist Preset

Post by DrussRob »

What I need is a playlist preset that creates a playlist of songs that all have the same or very similar names.

I've searched the forums and google and have not been able to find an answer on my own.
Is it possible to create new presets?

Thanks!

DrussRob

Re: Create New Playlist Preset

Post by DrussRob »

Just as a side note; I did the "Duplicate Files (loose)", but it skips some I noticed.

For example:
John Smith - That One Song
Smith, John - That One Song

Also

Smiths - Song Title
Smiths, the - Song Title

Also

The Big Band - Chills
The Big Band - Chills, the

Songs like that are skipped for some reason.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the "for some reason" is that they don't match. the string "John Smith" is NOT the same as "Smith, John".

you MUST have "perfect metadata" for all that to work.

the "strict" will match name, artist, album, while "loose" will match only name and artist. i think, once you get perfect meta data that what you want is "strict".

more info

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

You could use Google Refine. It will take the list from kJams (converted to text file) and will do all sorts of analysis to find similar names for artists and songs and find duplicates. I've used it, and it's amazing for cleaning up lists of songs.

Note that it's not for the faint of heart that don't understand data manipulation.

The new feature to update the metadata will allow you to update the song list in kjams, although I haven't tried that part (I was using it to create songbooks with no duplicates, and making everything first name first.

If you need help, let me know.

Ron

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Interesting. it seems you could use Google Refine to get your perfect metadata more quickly. You can copy data out of kJams to Google, massage the data, then, as long as the data is in the EXACT same order still, you can copy it back into kjams, and kjams will update all your songs at once.

DrussRob

Post by DrussRob »

Very interesting. I'll check into that.

Thanks for the help! :D

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)