aac protected files

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
Pamelina

aac protected files

Post by Pamelina »

Hi, I'm new to this. I purchased a karaoke song from iTunes and can't import it into kjames. kjams goes so far as to ask me about tags (and at different times tried both options) but then there is nothing in the library. I got no error message. It's an m4p aac protected audio file. I just assumed there would be lyrics with it. Why is that one protected and not my other purchased tunes? Is this a question for itunes, kjams or mac?

Thanks for any help

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I suspect that Dave will be here soon to answer your question more thoroughly, but I thought I'd take a quick stab at it:

Some people label music/audio files as "karaoke" if it is a music file with no vocal on it. In other words, it's an audio file with no lyrics text - graphic or otherwise.

There are ways to unprotect m4p files, but I don't think I should get into that here. Suffice it to say that if your song plays in iTunes without vocals, someone sold you a background music version of the song, not necessarily a CD+G karaoke file.

Lindy

dave
Site Admin

no lyrics from iTunes

Post by dave »

The karaoke songs sold at the iTunes Music Store do not have graphics (lyrics) with them. Not only that, but only iTunes can play AAC protected music. Do not buy karaoke from Apple until they start selling it with graphics and unprotected.

The places to buy karaoke online are listed here.

Pamelina

AAC protected files

Post by Pamelina »

Thanks for that! I've been browsing some karaoke collections and seen that they have both cdg and mp3 files. Are they linked together, or is one (mp3) just the music? See, I am a newbie!

dave
Site Admin

linked?

Post by dave »

Well i'm not sure what you mean by "linked" but the way i think of it, they "live together". there's no info in one file that says "i belong with that other file" but they must live in the same directory and have the exact same name (except for extension). the MP3 is the music only and the CDG is the graphics (video containing the lyrics). they can be zipped together in to a single ".zip" file, which i suppose will more explicitly link them.

kJams supports just about any audio format plus CDG, called "Audio+G"

Pamelina

ACC protected files

Post by Pamelina »

Thanks, that makes sence to me, and thankis for being there while I figure this all out! :wink: