audio distortion

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
TezinOz

audio distortion

Post by TezinOz »

During my last couple of KJ sessions I've had bad audio distortion towards the end of the night. I have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard. At first I figured It was a hardware issue - so, I checked everything (cables, amps etc.etc.). As a last resort I closed KJams and re-opened it and the problem cleared. This has happened a number of times now and closing and re-launching KJams seems to solve the "problem". I'm not shutting down Mac OSX, just KJams. Could it be a heat issue with the MacBook somehow affecting the audio circuits?
Has anyone else had this issue?
Hope Dave or someone has a suggestion

Cheers,

Tez

dave
Site Admin

Re: audio distortion

Post by dave »

what does it sound like? can you record a bit of it?
no, overheating will not cause this problem, it is more likely the fault of kJams, tho without more forensics it will be difficult to pin down.
quit-relaunch fixing the problem indicates it is kJams, possibly a memory leak? hard to tell.

TezinOz

Post by TezinOz »

Hi Dave - thanks for getting back so quickly.

The distortion is "fuzzy" i.e. no clicks or pops - a little like a blown speaker.
The first time it happened it seemed to be only one channel, but other times it is both. I noticed that my audio cache was sitting on 1.1Gb - not sure if this is normal or not. If it is "memory leakage" it's strange some of the more active users have not reported anything like this.

All that aside, gotta tell you I just LOVE Kjams. Keep up the good work :P

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i have to see this, get me on ichat.

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/IChat

natblend

Post by natblend »

I get distortion a lot lately. Always on the same files. I replace them and get lucky with that, so I do have some bad files,. When I play Itunes on the breaks, it's fine.
Just certain frequencies distort, I think.
I want to run MP gain, but everything is zipped, so no easy way to do that, right?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

if you play a "distorted" song with QuickTime or iTunes, do you get the same distortion?
if so, then it's the file, not kJams.
when you say "I replace them and get lucky with that" do you mean you have a different version of the same song that sounds fine?
MP3Gain can't "un-distort" a distorted file, but you're free to try it on one song to see if it works.
just unzip it, run mp3gain on it, then rezip it, see if it helps..

natblend

Post by natblend »

Thanks Dave. It didn't occur to me to unzip and play the file in Itunes. I'll try that next to compare. And yes, I have several different copies of the same file from different sources, some louder then others. Whomever passed out some of these files must have increased the gain and e.q. to a point that sounded good on their system, but not to the rest of us. That's the chance we take accepting 3rd and 4th party files

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

also be aware that if you "accept" other files that are Sound Choice, you run the risk of getting sued

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Unless you cover up/blank out their trademarks! ;)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I highly recommend against attempting to game the system. You could still be sued out of existence.