Midi Files

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
ChurchCat

Midi Files

Post by ChurchCat »

I am rapidly becoming a big kJams fan. One of the best bits for me as a singing teacher is that it will play midi files. This means I can create a score in a program like "Sibelius" and then have rapid access to it by importing it to kJams. What I would like to know though is just exactly what does kJams do with midi files? When I have ripped my CD+G collection (this will take some weeks) I want to start on my midi archive.

When I downloaded the trial version I "Added to library" one midi file and the tune played. What I am not clear of though is it still in midi format or has it been converted to something else?

ChurchCat

p.s. Can anyone spot the irony in the username? It is also the name of my studio :D

dave
Site Admin

midi

Post by dave »

the midi data does get "converted" when you play it, but the files on disk are not touched.

when you play a midi file, the audio gets extracted to "pcm" data, which is an uncompressed audio waveform. I simply ask the QT synth to provide me the waveform data. i do this so i can optionally run it thru the pitch / tempo shifter, which requires PCM data.

the video gets extracted to an uncompressed "bitmap" data per frame, at double resolution of "native" size. so if a midi or KAR file's native frame size is 320x240, i render it into a "bitmap" of 640x480, then display that on the screen. i do this so i can optionally show the frame on multiple monitors and do "overlays" (like the text that shows who's up next)

no irony detected.