Problems while using HDMI

Need help? Ask your questions here! I'll try to answer every one, but anyone can answer!
Dynamic Expressions

Problems while using HDMI

Post by Dynamic Expressions »

Two problems. How do I get audio to work through the tv? Also, I always hook up and test video before a performance. Then I play my guitar for a half hour. I leave the computer all hooked up and when I go to use it, the computer is asleep. I can't get it to work again. I've tried turning the tv and computer off and on and unplugging the HDMI cable and starting all over but it won't go. I have Snow Leopard.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Problems while using HDMI

Post by dave »

1) use the audio out jack (headphone) to connect it to your speakers.
2) set your sleep time to an hour. there's something majorly wrong with your computer if it falls asleep and won't wake up properly, take it to the shop and tell them this.

Dynamic Expressions

Post by Dynamic Expressions »

I didn't explain my last post well. I use external speakers from my laptop headphone jack for audio and the HDMI cable to the t.v. for video. What I really want is two more things. (1) I want to hear the karaoke music and (2) I want to hear my voice through the t.v. too. I tried using the 3.5mm adaptor out of the headphone jack on my laptop, then using a 3.5mm to female composite splitter and ran the red and white to the back of the t.v. but that didn't work. (It could be that I don't know how to set my preferences for this). I also tried using a usb mic into my computer but I couldn't get the sound to go out my external speakers (again, a preferences problem?) and neither could anyone at Best Buy or Radio Shack.

I just found the box for the HDMI cable and it bosts optimum video and audio quality but my Monster adaptor only promises quality video, not audio. Any other ideas on how to get my voice and or the karaoke sound to go through the t.v.?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

when you say "monster adaptor" what do you mean?

are you using a Mini-DisplayPort adapter to HDMI? some of these do NOT support audio. also, some macs DO NOT PUT AUDIO out thru the Mini-DisplayPort in the first place. so 1: find out if your mac puts audio out the Mini-DisplayPort, 2: find out if your Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter translates said audio. after that it should "just work".