Mayhem in d72 with Music stores turned on

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
DeusExMachina

Mayhem in d72 with Music stores turned on

Post by DeusExMachina »

Not sure if it was music store related, but Server became completely unresponsive on remote clients: no new singer function, no song submission, no login, etc.. This might be related to new code, or maybe to the fact that I turned on music stores, which were not on before. I can send log files, but they may be rather long and contain multiple reports.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Mayhem in d72 with Music stores turned on

Post by dave »

can you reproduce this?
does it repro if you turn off music stores?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

TBH, I have not yet tried, as doing so live would be a disaster. I will, however, endeavor to set up a trial with several remote machines to test.
Likewise with the stores. I had no choice but to downgrade to d66 and hold on for the ride.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i just tested with all music stores on and included in Library
sever worked fine. (only tested one user, did one search)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yes, you see, it worked fine for about the first five to ten minutes. Then everyone started saying they were not able to submit songs/searches. I wen to the various machines, and, indeed, the interfaces were essentially dead, and no server activity showed up in the kJams Activity window. Relaunch allowed it to work fine for another 5-10, then lock out.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

please let me know if d74 is better. and if not, is d73 fine?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

d74 will have to wait until Saturday for a true field test. As you know d73 crashed and burned!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sorry i meant "is d71 fine?"

*really, i MEANT to say d71*

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

All versions post d66 were causing various issues. Up until d7x, there was the UI stall (which was still in d66 unfortunately) and various server crashes. d72-3 introduced the server lock up, and crash after about 10 minutes (later to become crash on launch). That's why I went all the way back to d66, and just held on tightly during the UI stalls, hoping that I would not get stuck with the stall continuing between tracks, causing me to go dead air, and having to cover with video filler.
That is why my hopes are pinned on d74, to be the "Snow Leopard" of kJams releases. I can deal with a Lion, ML, Mavs, and Yosemite, if I have a SL to fall back on! :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

when (if) you get a server lockup PLEASE send a spindump.
i'm really sorry about this, it's one of those things i haven't been able to reproduce here, so i can't swat it.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Guess I'll keep Activity Monitor running and queued up, ready to go!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

that and keep d66 on hand, obviously.
if it STILL happens, and the spindump doesn't pinpoint it immediately, i'll create a special rogue of d66 that fixes the UI hang and nothing else, so you can fall back to THAT while we hunt down this current bug.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, that might be motivation to set up another minishow, at home, to test, if only to get a d66 backup that doesn't hang (and maybe has the "load singer from another venue" function?).

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

actually, so with the "mayhem" moment, the clients can't connect, but the kJams app is still running? so in that case, instead of a spindump, just cause a crash (cmd-opt-shift while picking "kjams help"). that will give me the log and crash report (which is much better than a spindump).

as to getting "load singer from another venue" in the special rogue: it's a crazy amount of time consuming work to re-create a build from back in time, that's why i never do it, and won't do it if i can at all avoid it. once i'm there however, pulling in a one line fix from the future of that past build is even more work, but doable (and necessary to get this fix). pulling in something that touches a LOT of code (like "load singer from another venue") is out of scope, unfortunately.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yes. New clients can not connect, submitted searches do not get results (not sure if the timeout still functions, IIRC, it did not) so no communications with server at all.
I can try to cause a crash, but that only works if I am not simultaneously locked out of the UI (though I can try running the crash script, too).