Occasional pause

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
dave
Site Admin

Re: Occasional pause

Post by dave »

i MAY have helped in some small way with the latest rogue

please get the current rogue for tonight's show

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Also, run activity monitor and see if you can see what is taking CPU cycles during the pause.
And can you run etrecheck again and post the output.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

4 hour show last night -- not a single freeze. The complete reinstall of everything and the new hardware seems to have helped out, plus moving my library to an internal hard drive. Wonder if it may have been an issue with the usb?

Only issue I'm having right now is i get random messages saying Kjmas requires write access to the folder </Volumes/1TB WD ULTRA P1>, you must fix this for jams to function correctly. Just checked and i have read write access set for the drive. Will check the individual folders within it as well

Dave -- just saw you had uploaded another rogue version - didn't see it till today, but will try it tonight

Many Thanks

DaveT

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

kJams requires write access to the folder </Volumes/1TB WD ULTRA P1>
Select the icon of that drive in the finder, get info, then take a screenshot of that and send it.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

The issue wouldn't be the USB, because tracks are pre-cached prior to play, and play from a PCM file on the local machine.
Looking at that drive path, seeing as it is still named its default name, I am wondering if perhaps you have the drive formatted as NTFS?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

which is precisely why i asked for a screen shot of his drive's "get info" window

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Hi Guys -- the drive is Mac os formatted for definite. I will have the laptop back out tomorrow, so can post the picture then. Happy to report, not another single issue at all last night. I went to the drive permissions, changed the access to read only, then changed it back to read write, and the problem seems to have gone away. i tried hammering the system last night, by also running my Midas M32 remote control program at the same time as KJams, and i still couldn't get it to freeze etc. Im wondering if moving to the SSD drive may have helped with my issues i was having, especially as you say Dave that the files are converted to PCM then run from there. My hard drive was a brand new (less than 6 months old) 1 terra, partitioned into 2 drives of equal size, so really shouldn't have been an issue, but you ever know. i have also not setup time machine this time, so that may also have been an issue, if it was searching for my network drive. Lots of ifs, buts and maybes that could have been causing it, but for now, (fingers crossed) it seems to be behaving perfectly.

Dave

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

The drive volume name, was named by myself when i first installed the drive, i named it this so i knew what drive it was ( a 1 terra western digital ultra drive) and also the P1 for partition 1. I do this with all my drives, so if i change it out for a new one, i can always refer back to what the drive was used for etc

Dave

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Sorry for the additional additional posts lol guys -- keep remembering things. I also downloaded and used the latest rogue version Dave mentioned a few messages up. What was the "thing you helped with" in it Dave? Just curious lol

Dave T

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

For the record, what happens is that the MP3/ audio file gets converted to PCM (due to architecture issues that make time syncing MP3… difficult) but the PCM isn't actually streamed from that file bit by bit, so having an SSD really should not affect it from that perspective (though it would make the OS itself faster).

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the "thing i helped with" is there was a severe stall in the user interface related to gathering "switchable songs" info, when a request came in via the server. this has been fixed.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave:
FTR, running d71r7, still got a stall (only once, but that does not mean much as I crashed within ten minutes, three times in a row, until I downgraded back to d66 for the rest of the night.
So there is a major bug in r7. Reports submitted.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i fixed some things
update to latest, let's go from there
start a new thread if you have trouble

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Saturday trial by fire coming up!
FTR, these stalls are not the same, as this stall is a UI stall, with no effect on the cdg playback, whereas the one described by the O.P. is a stall in the video window output, ie., the exact opposite!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i believe i have fixed both.