Quicktime Export - iPod Metadata Please!

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
cutmoney

Quicktime Export - iPod Metadata Please!

Post by cutmoney »

Hey Dave, I have one request that I could REALLY use because I would like to run some karaoke off of my iPod. I know that when you do a QuickTime export to iPod format you get a .m4v file as well as an .xml file. I'm not really sure where the .xml file comes in to play but what I would REALLY like to have is for the artist name to be also encoded in to the m4v so it shows up on the iPod with both the title and artist name.

The best way I have found is if you just fill in the title (which is already done) and then the artist field. Then, if I just batch convert the files over to Music Videos (or TV shows) It shows the artist name as well as the title of the karaoke song. Otherwise, I just have a big list of titles with no artist information which causes a problem when you have 10 different artists that sing the same song.

Hopefully this is something that is possible, I would really like to have this option as it would enable me to do what I am trying to accomplish regarding karaoke. Thanks, let me know if you have any questions for me!
<b>DJ Cut Money C</b>
Thunder & Lightning Sound and Lighting
www.MidwestDJs.com

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

yes, definitely. i've been meaning to get back to this for a long time. meta data is a very very big deal to me and i very much want this to work as well. Sadly Apple has made it extremely difficult to correctly add meta data to MPEG files (or rather, THEY have tools but have not exposed them to us developers, so we have to re-invent the wheel on it). I do know how to do it, but it is difficult and error prone and time consuming to get it right. I know others do it and i'm pretty expert so i should be able to get it, it's just a matter of time.

What I am aiming for is when you export for iPod you can choose to have it magically set the meta data, AND set the "Music Video" bit, AND put it in an auto-sync playlist (that you can specify) inside iTunes. Then, *all* you have to do is 1) export 2) sync

that's the plan anyway.

cutmoney

Post by cutmoney »

That sounds great, I probably wont use the auto playlist feature since I'll be syncing the videos on another computer than what I run kJams on, but I'll definitely look forward to the tagging. Being a developer, I'm sure you're already aware of AtomicParsley but is that some sort of option for your app? I know that MetaX and I believe HandBrake is built around (or somehow) uses it for the video tagging and supports pretty much every video format that there is out there on the Mac. So, if you're not aware of it you may want to take a look and get some more info on that option.

In any case, I'll definitely look forward to the meta tagging, I'm going to REALLY need it soon here for what I'm looking to achieve. As always, thanks for all of your help!
<b>DJ Cut Money C</b>
www.MidwestDJs.com

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

> AtomicParsley

Well i have to say that kicks a very pleasant amount of ass. No i had not seen it. You can expect i'll be using that. Thanks!

-dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay i'm working on this now, expect it in the next release :)

Update: well, okay i hooked it up, however, it does not work. the movies spit out by QuickTime for iPod and iPhone are not supported by AtomicParsley. :(

Up-update: okay, to continue my reputation of never ever being defeated by software, i went and downloaded the source code and friggin FIXED the problem, so now you can export iPod, iPhone and AppleTV (and other MPEG-4 types) and get your actual meta data, AND they are marked as music videos. Turns out these fixes were already made available by others, but nobody had bothered to update the downloadable binaries, so i'll be distributing the corrected binary with kJams, it will "just work", no install necessary!!

Caveat: does not work with 3gp files eg: iPhone (Cellular). It does in fact set correct 3gp tags, however QuickTime and iTunes don't bother to read the tags. Go figure.

Source code available here.

cutmoney

Post by cutmoney »

That's fantastic, now I just need to start exporting my 4000 songs and I'll be all set! Thanks for adding that, that'll be super helpful!
<b>DJ Cut Money C</b>
www.MidwestDJs.com

cutmoney

Post by cutmoney »

BTW, I tried exporting with the pad movie border to 320x240 both on and off and I didn't really understand the benefits/drawbacks to using one or the other. Obviously the padding results in a black border, is that better for some reason?

Oh, and the metadata works perfectly, exactly what I needed. Thanks!
<b>DJ Cut Money C</b>
www.MidwestDJs.com

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

padding is handy for 1st gen video ipods so the graphics don't look "stretched". Otherwise there's no need.