Database tool

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
jfbiii

Database tool

Post by jfbiii »

As someone planning on using kJams Pro at shows, I have a fair number of songs to import, about 3500. Since I already print song books, I already have a database of the metadata that I want to use for my library, albeit in excel format.

How difficult would it be to take that spreadsheet, import it into a db template formatted specifically for kJams, and then refer to THAT db as I import discs. I put in a disc, I'm prompted for the disc number that I already use, and the data is populated just like it would be from freedb. It would actually be better than an outside source because it would already have my existing disc numbering system and I wouldn't have to change any data disc by disc to match what I already have.

As a Pro feature this would free anyone with a large library from reliance on outside sources. If the database idea is difficult, then I wouldn't worry about it. I think, though, that for anyone with hundreds of cds it would be the ideal way to deal with the meta data, because most people with that many CDs already have the necessary meta data, just not in the exact form needed.

Anyway, I've already ripped about 30% of my discs, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the product. I've been watching and waiting for more than a year until I could obtain a laptop, and I have to say that kJams is far more sophisticated than I had dared hope. I think you've done a terrific job on it so far.

Thanks,
Joe

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

I've not done this myself, but if you're willing to work with me, maybe we can get this done.

first, get CDPedia
http://bruji.com/cdpedia/

i think there is a tryout version

CDPedia can import from Excel! wow!

kJams can import from CDPedia! even more wow!

When you stick in a disc, kJams first checks CDPedia.

please send me a sample spreadsheet and i'll give it a whirl myself.

-dave

jfbiii

That is WOW!

Post by jfbiii »

OK, I downloaded CDpedia and transferred my excel file into a Collection with fields that matched the kJams fields that I want to use, but I couldn't quite figure out how to make kJams work with the CDpedia collection, so I sent you an email with a spreadsheet, a text file, and the CDpedia collection that resulted.

Thanks for your help.

dave
Site Admin

kay thanks

Post by dave »

i'll have a look this thursday (tomorrow)
-dave

jfbiii

Brilliant!

Post by jfbiii »

Absolutely brilliant. Took me awhile to figure out what you meant by "kJams folder," since I didn't create one when I downloaded the product. So after a couple of failed attempts I got the brilliant idea to do a search and see if kJams had created any folders named "kJams" and then after looking in them I noticed a blank library.cdpedia file. After throwing my cdpedia collection in there it worked perfectly.

Talk about a time saver!

Thanks, Dave

dave
Site Admin

wohoo!!

Post by dave »

i'll update the documentation to be more explicit, thanks!

-dave