pre-flight scripts

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
DeusExMachina

pre-flight scripts

Post by DeusExMachina »

So, playing around with RAM Disks has given me an idea: preflight scripts.
I know I have said this several times (and have even on rare occasion actually been right) but I think it would be very easy to implement a feature that allowed users to write scripts that ran immediately on launch (as opposed to "startup.py", which appears to run as the final part of launch) that allows the user to automate certain book keeping procedures, e.g., setting up a RAM Disk, copying its contents from a source, etc., that should proceed an actual launch of kJams.
Conversely, a shut down script might also be useful (in this case, that synced the RAM Disk contents back to the HDD, etc.).

[Alternately, in this particular circumstance, do you see a problem with writing a startup script that sets up the RAM disk, copies the venue to it, renames the original venue (as, e.g., VenueNameTmp) and then writes an alias of the RAM Disk file to the original venue name. If this happens fast enough, and before anything else occurs, this should all happen under kJams' nose, without it being the wiser.]

dave
Site Admin

Re: pre-flight scripts

Post by dave »

what you're asking is possible.
it would require a bit of a rewrite of the startup process, but it's not impossible.
i had plans to check for updates before even starting to load the Libraries, and this script could run during that phase as well.
i'll add it to the never ending list.