Tempo shift

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
ChurchCat

Tempo shift

Post by ChurchCat »

IIRC if you shift tempo in a playlist and then try to burn the playlist, then the tempo shift does not burn. However if you shift pitch then this will burn.

Is there a technical reason why tempo shift can't be burnt? If not is it a feature that could be added at a future date?

CC
Every forum needs it's own cat.

dave
Site Admin

technical difficulties

Post by dave »

when you change the tempo, you change the duration of the song. to keep the graphics in sync with the new duration, it's easy to do that "on the fly" by just changing the framerate. But a CD has a *fixed* frame rate so the song's graphics would have to be redistributed (expanded or compressed) such that when played back at the original fixed frame rate you get the NEW duration. This is easier when making the song longer (tempo slower) because you can just insert "do nothing" frames, as many as you need to reach the new duration. But to make the song sorter, (tempo faster) you must somehow find as many "do nothing" frames as you need and remove them, and they must be very close to where you actually want to remove them from or the graphics will de-sync. It's non trivial but i know how to do it. It's not high on the list, however it will eventually get done yes.

ChurchCat

Post by ChurchCat »

Thanks for that Dave.

I am probably the only user of kJams that would ever use this feature on a day to day basis, so I am not surprised that it is not high on your list.

I am glad that it is on the list somewhere though.

CC

p.s. The last download of jKams seems to load and quit faster than earlier versions. You are doing a great job there. Are you really only working on this part time? Amazing.
Every forum needs it's own cat.

dave
Site Admin

yep, and only part of part time too

Post by dave »

yes i re-wrote the way the DB handles keeps track of it's ID's, now looking up a song takes zero time rather than logarithmic time.