Graphic Equalizer

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
natblend

Graphic Equalizer

Post by natblend »

Itunes has it's 10 band Graphic Equalizer. It's useful. It would be great if Kjams could offer that, (or more).
I switched to smaller Behringer speakers (To save my aging back), and some of the cheaper karaoke studio songs need help.
a boost at 200 hz and 4 k, and cutting different mid freq's to cure a drone/ring on certain songs in certain keys. I dug out an old 15 band graphic I used in live music, 20 years ago. Tweaking that all night makes these speakers work. but if you can integrate it into Kjams, I could leave that at home.
Thanks.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Graphic Equalizer

Post by dave »

I've had plans to do this since the beginning but I haven't gotten around to it. The need for this being built in has been greatly lessened by the app called AudioHijack for Mac and TotalRecorder for Windows, which not only gives you an N-band GEQ, but also a zillion other effects.

These guys do such a great job of it that anything i'd do in kJams would be rather pale by comparison, so I found it best to let them focus on what they do best and let me focus on what I do best, and peacefully co-exist.

natblend

Post by natblend »

Interesting. Can I use Audio Hijack Pro 2 in conjunction with kJams? I'm macbook Pro.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes of course! that's why i recommend it!

:D

natblend

Post by natblend »

YES!. That was easy. Exactly what I needed.
Love it. thanks much!
One question, if I'm capturing as I use it, which is 4 hours at a time.
Will there be a problem with buffering, or timing out, anything like that?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

not that i know of! just make sure you've got lots of space, or compress it as you capture :D

jesstifer

Post by jesstifer »

The wiki (at https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Equalizer) recommends three possible equalizer apps: GarageBand, AudioHijack Pro and Hear. The latter two are both paid apps, so I'd love to try GarageBand first. But I can't figure out how route live audio from kJams to GarageBand and then out to the system audio out. Hints?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, you have to use a virtual device called "SoundFlower"

the details are here.

jesstifer

Post by jesstifer »

Aha! Thanks, Dave, works like a charm.

For anyone with the same question who follows Dave's link to "the details," note: I already had SoundFlower installed (it must come with GB installation?), and as I'm not recording or mixing in a microphone in kJams, the only steps necessary to follow were #2, 3, and 5-10.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »