Which Karaoke Companies do you recomend or prefer

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Just Jim

Which Karaoke Companies do you recomend or prefer

Post by Just Jim »

Was wondering what the favorite Karaoke companies disks people use or prefer, I presently use Chartbuster they seem to be near perfect to original songs while at the same time Sunfly seems to be a bit off. With so many different companies out there I would like to find the preferences of others, IE DKG, Monster Hits,All Hits,Sunfly,and Sweet Georgia Brown just to name a few.
Thanks in advance Jim

dave
Site Admin

Re: Which Karaoke Companies do you recomend or prefer

Post by dave »

Sound Choice it top notch, hands down.

I like DK also.

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

It depends a little bit on what genre of music you're working with. For rock/pop, I would say Sound Choice is consistently the best, although Sunfly and Chartbuster are (IMO) close seconds, and often beat SC to the table with new music. Speaking of new music, Pop/Top Hits monthly is (again, IMO) a distant third, but can be used sparingly to temporarily get new music before SC or SF publishes it. If you're looking for harder rock music, or stuff that isn't really in the mainstream, try SBI - good quality, but pricey.

For country, Chartbuster is as good if not better than Sound Choice, IMO. They are also very good at getting new music published. It's very rare I go outside of Chartbuster or Sound Choice for country, but I can toss a nod to Big Country, they aren't bad either.

Just a note, Sweet Georgia Brown is no longer in business. Their recordings weren't bad, but were sometimes a bit garish in production. And, when it came to Sinatra, they were horrible. Still, for someone who is starting out, you can get the full 68? disk set on Ebay for less than $100 and have a nice variety of music to build from.

>>Sedge

Einsteindork

Post by Einsteindork »

I will agree with Dave on this one. I had the same questions when I started up. With so many companies I didn't want to have a mix of this and that.
For my two cents... Soundchoice is primarily all I buy now. Although, updates on new music is a bit lagging so I get the Top Hits Monthly till the Soundchoice version comes out so that I can keep up with the new stuff.

cfspinner

Post by cfspinner »

i sometimes use http://www.karaokedownloads.com. They do have a subscription service for new releases.
Creator of the iSing Karaoke Locator for the iphone
[url]itms://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=334150511&mt=8&s=143441[/url]
http://www.karaokeblogs.com

leo-magic

Post by leo-magic »

zoom karaoke (also in the tricerasoft-store) are very good! Really like the original song!!
Expensive, but with gift-cards (tricerasoft) the same price as SC or SBI,...

MikeHL

Post by MikeHL »

I'm not a KJ, just a singer who likes to BS and have fun 8) and who bought kJams Lite about 6 months ago. Actually, I find something to like about just about every manufacturer I've come across.

DK songs can be a pain in the ass with the whistle tone and recording many of their songs in more 'singable' :roll: keys, BUT... they did a really nice job with a number of synth-laden '80s songs, among others.

Incidentally, it was the couple of DK discs I have that made me want to buy kJams...to buy a Mac-based program that could adjust keys on my DK songs back to the originals and, thanks to the burner plug-in, burn custom discs with the keys adjusted. This worked especially well with Yes's "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" and Duran Duran's "A View To A Kill", two songs which DK did, IMO, an EXCELLENT job with other than the key.

Sunfly, SBI and Zoom I like for putting a good number of songs out there that the other manfacturers won't touch -- often songs that were good-sized hits in the UK but never broke through stateside. Hell, even Sweet Georgia Brown has done this with a few songs I badly wanted to have (like Cream's "SWLABR" and Johnny Guitar Watson's "Ain't That A Bitch"), which led to me buying a couple of their discs.

Pop/Top Hits Monthly, same thing. I only have a few of their songs, but they're mostly hip-hop songs that IMO no one else did a credible job with, like DMX's "Party Up (Up In Here)". Interestingly, from what I've heard of this song from other companies, Finger Eleven's "Paralyzer" also falls into this category for me.

I own a few songs from all these manufacturers, but like many of you, in the absence of a specific arrangement that I wanted, my default producer of choice is Sound Choice. Definitely more of their stuff than anyone else's, probably a majority of what I have. I cannot speak to Chartbuster or StarDisc personally because I do not like country music at all. (The only Chartbuster song I have is "Yes We Can Can" by the Pointer Sisters. :lol: )

Ron Larrivee

Post by Ron Larrivee »

I have always liked Sound Choice - I used to like Priddis, but no longer available w/ lyrics on screen. For me, Chartbuster is a very close 2nd at this time. More affordable also if you wait for their 3 disk sets. e.g. check out price for Chartbuster 2009 country 3 disk set online - the trick is waiting a little longer to buy your new discs - then purchase the 3 disc pkg when its available for around $30.00 US on line. nice deal and keeps you very current :wink: [/color]

hnoor0044

Post by hnoor0044 »

I like for putting a good number of songs out there that the other manfacturers won't touch -- often songs that were good-sized hits in the UK but never broke through stateside.

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

Having bought around 5,000 songs so far (started with eBay collections then have filled in gaps in my collection)

I did a "Battle of the Tracks" to work out & only keep the best version of each song in my collection.

My favourites currently are:-

1/ Sound Choice for quality, but next to impossible to buy individual tracks new now, I have bought several discs off eBay, but they're pretty expensive in the UK this way.

2/ SBI - I much prefer the overlapping graphics style of this over Sunfly/Zoom and is now my goto brand. I don't buy from within kJams as I want to preview the tracks first. Most are excellent but some are poor.

3/ Zoom - Consistently good quality music and nicely presented graphics, again sometimes I don't know

4/ Sunfly - Later titles have excellent sound, but the paging graphics often don't allow me to know the words in time. Some pre 2004 titles can be pretty poor. They fade tracks a little too often for my liking too.

5/ EasyKaraoke - Generally pretty good, but sometimes I have still better versions.

I try to avoid:

Vocal-Star - Not anything like the quality of the better brands in my experience. I bought a massive 64 Disc 1,200 songs set, but have only kept around 300 of those, and even those I've written a script to mark them on my Song Lists as not likely to be great. I consider these as placeholders until I buy a better version.

Sweet Georgia Brown - I don't like the ugly Graphics and the performances don't tend to be as great IMHO. They do have some tracks I haven't found elsewhere though.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I don't buy from within kJams as I want to preview the tracks first.
did you know that you can preview tracks from within kJams?

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

dave wrote:did you know that you can preview tracks from within kJams?
I didn't know this, that's great news. I saw a "Buy" and a "Stream" button but no "Preview".

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

double click the song or just select it and press play to preview it

M@gicMike

Post by M@gicMike »

Obviously Sound choice

Really like the Karaoke Cloud, but there are not that many songs.

Loved the SBI but can't download from Tricerasoft anymore. :(

Ive been using "Karaoke Version" and they are not bad as a back up alternative.

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

Can someone tell me where I can buy individual Sound Choice song downloads online ? I do agree that they are pretty consistently the best, but not easy to find.

I did find some Karaoke Cloud songs online yesterday and was able to fill in quite a few gaps on my collection that I'd not been able to find elsewhere, and they are excellent quality.

I really shouldn't buy any more this month but it's addictive. I've not yet done my first Karaoke evening but I keep buying songs I like.