back up my Artist/Song/Album edits in tags?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
randyj

back up my Artist/Song/Album edits in tags?

Post by randyj »

When it comes time to print song books (for the older folks at my show without iPhones), I would like the titles, artists, albums to already be correct...

I'm investing the time during ripping discs to get the meta the way I want it. That way, when it comes time to print books, it's just copy/paste (grin)

This is time consuming now, but hopefully will save a lot of time later (and make my online song list nice and pretty)

So I'm wondering how to back up my work. I was hoping it was stored in the mp3 itself, but...

edit song name and/or artist and/or album on disc
rip disc
click song in kJams
Cmd-Shift-R (reveal in finder)
right-click
Open With -> QuickTime Player
Cmd-I (show Inspector)

some songs have their artist and album, some don't. Huh??

Push Meta changes date modified on .mp3 file, but still no artist/album in QuickTime Player Inspector

dave
Site Admin

?

Post by dave »

not sure why you're seeing that, kJams *always* tags your songs, every time.

note it takes up to TEN seconds after you edit the meta data and press OK for kJams to start updating the tags, so you may just have been early.

if you can confirm that it really is NOT updating your tags for a particular song, send me that song and I'll have a look, but i'm pretty confident that the tags really are getting into the song file.

-dave

randyj

Post by randyj »

ok, I did some digging (open songs with TextEdit) just to look at the tags.

You're right. kJams is saving the data there!

But it's not showing up in QuickTime Player sometimes. Played with it some more, found a bug in QuickTime Player -> Show Movie Inspector

It shows the metadata fine for the first song after launch. But close the song and open another, and the meta data is either cut off or not showing at all.

QT Player 7.4.5 (25)
QT Version and Kit version 7.4.5 (67)

I don't have developer access at Apple. If you care to report it... (shrug)

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

yeah, there's also a bug of saving meta data in a QuickTime.mov that has AAC inside, it frickin' destroys the file, making it unplayable. wow.
8)