Creating Wi-Fi

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

Creating Wi-Fi

Post by HowardBrazee »

I finally have a user who wants to use kJams Cue. Trouble is, we don't have access to the same Wi-Fi network with her iPhone and my iMac. The provider for our apartments recognizes my devices (and my wife's), but not other residents. It's a security thing.

I tried to set my Mac up as a hotspot, several ways, but it didn't work. My iPad couldn't see that source.

It it possible to buy a device that will make my iMac into a public Wi-Fi source so that kJams Cue will see my kJams session?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Creating Wi-Fi

Post by dave »

you can buy your own wifi device (like an Eero), and plug THAT into your apartment network, then use THAT wifi for everything?

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I don't think I can buy an extender that will reach from my apartment to where we do kJams. And if I did, I wouldn't want them to use my personal password.

I did get my Mac to create a Wi-Fi while my iPhone was plugged into it. My iPad tried to connect, but the connection spun.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

are you saying that, in one building, you have one person in one apartment, on their WIFI, trying to connect to your kJams in your apartment, on a separate WIFI? or rather you're both on the building WIFI but that does not allow peer-to-peer connections? if so, yeah, you can't do that. you need to both be on the same WIFI in which peering is allowed.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

It looks like we're on the same Wi-Fi network, but we really aren't. The provider recognizes the devices and only the devices registered to my apartment can see each other.

So my solution is, once I have set up my iMac downstairs, to make my Mac do Internet Sharing, but I don't have Ethernet available, so I plug in my iPhone.

Then I went to System Settings on my iMac, then General, then Sharing then Internet Sharing. With Internet Sharing turned off, I went to (i), and selected "Share Your Connection". If my iPhone is plugged in, there are two options for iPhone USB. My selection must be iPhone USB 2 (I have no idea why). Then I select "To Devices using" to Wi-Fi.

I select Wi-Fi Options

I have to log on as a master user, and then I create my Wi-Fi name (Karaoke), and password (Karaoke1).

Then I have to turn Internet Sharing On, and Done.

The Internet Sharing button on the top of my Mac changes.

Now someone can logon to the "karaoke" wi-fi network then run kJams Cue. (Assuming kJams is set up for it)

I have to do that all over again next time I run karaoke.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I discovered something last night. The setting of which iPhone USB depends upon which USB plug I connect my iPhone to on the back of the iMac.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

?