The Right CD player

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
HowardBrazee

The Right CD player

Post by HowardBrazee »

I loaded a bunch of CD-Gs into kJams with a significant number of graphic errors.

I was using a LG slim portable DVD writer that tested out for writing CD-Gs.

David Cotter mentioned "it could be you have a CD drive that doesn’t properly implement error correction", and he was absolutely right.

I got a hold of an Apple USB SuperDrive and am re-ripping all of those CD-G disks. Instead of that multitude errors, so far I have found only one minor error, and reloaded that song successfully.

The Apple drive doesn't have a light showing when it is running, and doesn't have a way to force the disk out (which I needed with my LG drive). And it is significantly more expensive. But it does the job reliably.

HowardBrazee

Re: The Right CD player

Post by HowardBrazee »

Note: Almost all of the bad rips were from one set of CD-Gs. Quality vendors also matter.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I had a couple of CDs that opened up two places on Finder. I could not close them or eject them, and couldn't even shut down my Mac.
(I had to push the off button.) With the LG drive, I could eject the CD-G with a paper clip. I got "Gal Pop: Volume 1 Disk 2" stuck and went to the Apple Store, where he booted up a laptop holding the left mouse button to eject that disk. So that particular problem doesn't appear to have anything to do with either kJams nor the CD drive.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

If your machine has an eject key, you can also just hold that when restarting.
But the easiest way is just to launch Terminal and type:
drutil tray eject

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I tried using Terminal (I forgot the command), but what did the trick was re-booting while holding the right mouse button.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

or literally pull the USB plug on the cd drive. you'll get a warning about properly ejecting, which you can ignore. when plugging it in, press the eject button. no restart necessary.