"All Star Karaoke" series discs on OSX

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
jimerson

"All Star Karaoke" series discs on OSX

Post by jimerson »

I have problems ejecting these discs. I use a Plextor 504UF connected to a Macbook Pro OSX 10.4.11 using Firewire. When I insert one of these discs it shows up on the desktop with 2 icons, "Untitled" and "Audio CD". The "Audio CD" plays and rips just fine. When "untitled" is ejected it just disappears, but "Audio CD" stays there when "ejected". The computer must be forced to shut off and restarted before it can be used with the Plextor drive after this.

All the other karaoke series work fine, this just happens with these ASK discs. It's not kjams related. I just would like to know if anyone else has problems with these.

Thanks,
Jim

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

1: try ejecting both partitions at the same time
2: try using Disk Utility to eject, that should certainly work.

-dave

oss

Post by oss »

I have had these sorts of problems as well. It's not a kjams issue, it's that OS X is having problems reading the discs. Some of these discs are very funky, throwing in extraneous tracks at the end, sometimes having data layers as well. Sometimes the manufacturer puts fake bad tracks in to prevent computers from ripping. Can be a real pain in the ass. Are you able to get the audio and video?

jimerson

Re: :)

Post by jimerson »

dave wrote:1: try ejecting both partitions at the same time
2: try using Disk Utility to eject, that should certainly work.

-dave
1. Same result as before. "Untitled" disappears, "Audio CD" stays on the desktop, computer must be forced to shutdown.

2. Disk utility shows the CD as 2 items in the list on the left. If I click on either, Disk utility stops responding and must be force quit, and the computer must be forced to restart to access the drive again. :x
Last edited by jimerson on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

jimerson

Post by jimerson »

oss wrote:I have had these sorts of problems as well. It's not a kjams issue, it's that OS X is having problems reading the discs. Some of these discs are very funky, throwing in extraneous tracks at the end, sometimes having data layers as well. Sometimes the manufacturer puts fake bad tracks in to prevent computers from ripping. Can be a real pain in the ass. Are you able to get the audio and video?
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, the audio and video play and rip fine. If it was only 2 or 3 discs I wouldn't mind so much, but I bought 25 of these discs! I will see how these discs behave in Windows XP later.

oss

Post by oss »

jimerson wrote: Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, the audio and video play and rip fine. If it was only 2 or 3 discs I wouldn't mind so much, but I bought 25 of these discs! I will see how these discs behave in Windows XP later.
If the Disk Utility doesn't work and you're comfortable using command-line interfaces, try opening a Terminal and running the dmutil command. It's a command-line version of Disk Utility.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes this is a known bug in OS X, sorry for the hassle. :(

blucaso

How to "fix" Double-partition discs

Post by blucaso »

I discovered a nice work-around for these type of discs - the problem is they aren't true CDG format discs - they are hybrids intended to basically prevent computer copying I think.

But I remembered an old trick I read about on the handy interweb. :)

Take one of these discs (preferably start with a disc that's really cheap, a duplicate, or you don't care for much) and examine it. You'll see, around the outer edge, a small partition divided by a ring. This is the "computer" data portion of the disc. What you want to do is eliminate this extra track of information, and you'll have left a simple CDG disc that meets the computer's expectations.

How? Old fashioned technology - a Sharpie black marker. Just carefully color in the entire sector. Try to color right along the divider ring, but don't stray over it. This isn't always easy, and if you have 25 of these puppies I'd consider making a template of some sort.

When you're done, if you've done it right, your disc will play, rip, and eject normally. If you've strayed over the line at all, and the disc is full, the last track may skip or not rip/play at all.

Hint: If you make a mistake, you can take a soft, clean, dry cloth and firmly rub the marker off, and redo. I've had success with this.

Good luck to you!

randyj

sharpie

Post by randyj »

I really like that solution. Very inventive. Sometimes low-tech is the easiest solution!

:D

I wonder if you really have to mark out the entire track / partition or would it suffice to just mark out 10% or 25%

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)