Ripping Problems: Bad CDs? Bad Drive? Just The Way It Is?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
willia4

Ripping Problems: Bad CDs? Bad Drive? Just The Way It Is?

Post by willia4 »

I'm trying to set up an awe-inspiring karaoke system for my personal karaoke parties, driven from my Powerbook G4 (AlBook). In this case, it's awe-inspiring for my friends who have somewhat low standards of awe...but that's beside the point.

Towards this end, I've registered kJams (which is pretty rocking), bought a truckload of CDGs from EBay (a Sweet Georgia Brown set, which all appear to be unpirated, brand new, unscratched, and clean), bought an LG GSA-E60L, and some other stuff which doesn't really matter. Sadly, I'm incapable of doing anything small.

A lot of the tracks on these CDs won't rip. I've tried it with some software on a Windows computer (Audiograbber) and the same tracks give problems: so I'm pretty certain that it isn't kJams' fault.

Is this typical? Or do I just have a bad batch of discs or a bad drive or something? Were my expectations too high?

Does this match up with your own experiences or am I doing something wrong?

dave
Site Admin

:(

Post by dave »

it is not typical in my experience. I get perfect rips every time, but i only buy new discs direct from the manufacturer.

is kJams saying "perhaps your disc is scratched"?
when you say "windows computer" do you mean boot camp? or parallels? or actual PC hardware? are you plugging in the same drive to the PC?

willia4

Post by willia4 »

Usually kJams just crashes. :) You've gotten a lot of crash reports from me over the past couple of days (though they're probably not terribly useful).

I've tried it with a few different discs from different publishers (brand new) and most give the same results.

The Windows computer is a completely separate box (an HP laptop). I'm using the same external drive on both the Mac and the Wintel machine. My next step will be trying to talk Best Buy into swapping out the drive with another of the same model so I can determine if it was just a bad unit.

I wasn't trying to complain or file a bug report with this post or anything; I was mostly trying to see if my experience was atypical and warranted further investigation on my part. And now it looks like investigation is indeed warranted, so thanks!!

dave
Site Admin

?

Post by dave »

Usually kJams just crashes.
that is most definitely the fault of kJams. I need to talk directly with you.
My next step will be trying to talk Best Buy into swapping out the drive
No, please, your next step should be to talk to me on the fone. :)

dave
Site Admin

:(

Post by dave »

we determined:
1) kjams has some bugs -> crashing
2) the drive was not officially compatible. Tho it was able to rip some tracks, it would fail a large portion of the time. In fact the "drive capabilities" report that it is NOT CD+G capable, indicating that even the manufacturer does not claim it can always read CD+G discs.