Specifying an alternate location for ffmpeg

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
DeusExMachina

Specifying an alternate location for ffmpeg

Post by DeusExMachina »

Does kJams insist on looking for ffmpeg in /Applications/VCD\ and\ MPEG\ Tools\ Folder/VCD\ and\ MPEG\ Tools.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg?
Can one specify a different path? Like to a universal install available for all users of all apps that rely on it, including the command line, such as:
/usr/local/bin?
I know I can alias it, but that also requires me to have VCD & MPEG Tools installed, and also to have numerous multiple copies of ffmpeg installed across multiple apps.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Specifying an alternate location for ffmpeg

Post by dave »

no, sorry, it doesn't allow specifying an alternate location.

it can also be in the "kJams Plugins" folder (which is in "application support")

it would be trivial to add another path to look in, however. do you prefer "/usr/local/bin" ?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

/usr/local/bin is, I think the standard place brew, apt-get and other installers of ffmpeg put it in Unixes, for use with the command line.
The other main place on Macs would be, of course, /Applications/ffmpegX/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg. No idea on Windows, I'll have to research that.

And… back.
Pretty sure the standard place is simply c:/ffmpeg/bin, and then setting a system environment variable to that path so that Windows can find it.
(VCD& MPEG Tools was great to have around back in the day, but in 2016, there is little use for utilities for editing 360p video for ten year old Chinese video players, and it's just taking up space!)*

*op cit "cruft"

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

ok. on mac it'll look in /usr/local/bin