wtKjams cannot connect when using adhoc network

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
reddroki

wtKjams cannot connect when using adhoc network

Post by reddroki »

Hi folks,

It's been eight weeks since we worked a venue that did not have internet access so we used the MacBook Pro's internal network. In other words, Create Network... via the Airport menu bar option. The pads would connect with no problem in the past. Now, wtkJams crashes on startup on our iPads. We're running El Capitan, 10.11.6 & kJams kJamsPro_v102b9. wtkJams v1.0.13 on a iPad 2 (v8.4.1) & an iPad Air 2 (v9.3.5).
I restarted all the devices, still crashed, then I Reset Network Settings and still wtkJams blinks out of existence.

I retried Sunday night with kJamsPro_v102b10 but the iPads still can’t connect. However, my iPhone 5s (v9.3.5) with wtkJams v1.0.13 could connect, after an initial crash and a force restart of wtkJams.

Any comments or suggestions (up to and including waving magic wands) would be appreciated.

Happy Halloween!

Mark & Anita
---
Host: Would you like to sing a song?
Customer: Oi! There's not enough liquor in this pub for that!
Host: Hmm. You or Us?

dave
Site Admin

Re: wtKjams cannot connect when using adhoc network

Post by dave »

you should post this in the wtkJams facebook page?

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Mark and Anita -- did you get any joy in getting this fixed? I too had the same issues and notified the developer, but haven't heard anything back after a few exchanges of conversation. I have another thread still open in the kjams related apps section. We too were working off an ad hoc network, but only apple devices could see it, so i swapped to an external router (once again with no internet access), and thats when all the iOS devices were force closing as soon as we tried to open WTKjams. Android and iOS devices could still access the database etc using the web browser via the external router, but every iOS device just force closed whenever they tried to open wtKjams. I haven't used it since as it caused us too much problems with customers complaining etc on the night. Now we just dont offer it as a service. :(

Dave (T)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you could just bring an "airport express" and use that, cheap and simple!

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Just ordered an airport express. Fingers crossed it works, as i have a venue who complain like hell because i have taken the wtKjams off line at all venues due to it crashing. Lets see how it goes with it.

Dave (T)

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Well that was a waste of money....... wtKjams still force close immediately after opening them. Spooky thing is that when you go to then close the app(double pressing the button on the iPad then swiping it), the preview shows the app running in the background, but when you try to then press it to open it, you get bounced immediately back to your desktop again. Using the web browser and the laptops IP address, i can add songs etc etc with no problems, so nothing wrong with the network.

Dave (T)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

definitely should not be crashing! have you tried contacting David J facebook about it?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

FTR, this behaviour is not really "spooky". This is because swiping up doesn't really close an app, it just removes its data allocation from RAM, forcing it to reload that data the next time you try to use it. The cards are just screen grabs.
If the app is stalled, it doesn't get the message that you've wiped it's data, and sometimes the OS doesn't get the message that you've done it either. The result is that the app's screen grab remains in the task switcher, and if you then try to rerun the app, it crashes back to the Springboard.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

in which case maybe you need to re-spring or reboot the phone?

reddroki

Post by reddroki »

Just an update to the thread.
The beta build did work (i.e.: we could connect with an iPad 2 w/iOS 8 to a MacBookPro running an ad-hoc network), but the TestFlight timed out. I've got an Airport Express that's currently in use as a bridge so I can do network type of things out in the back yard, but it is working fine so I'm reticent to fiddle with it.
We can always go back to karaoke books and slips of paper. This does force the singer to dig in the book but we tell them you'll discover new songs to sing. 8^)
We do look forward to the update when available.
Have a great day all!
- Mark & Anita
---

reddroki

Post by reddroki »

Hi all,

This may be water under the bridge and you all know the current status but all is working. And working for some time.
David Junod has posted updates and customers are once again smiling and singing.

Safe travels all,
Mark & Anita
---

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:D