Using Logic Pro to control a show

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
goateeguy

Using Logic Pro to control a show

Post by goateeguy »

Hi Team,

I had this working at one point... however due to SoundFlower having issues with newer OSs, it's been an on / off again thing, and maybe there is a better solution.

What I want...

To be able to use kJams, Logic, Logic Remote and my Apogee Duet to control my audio.

kJams feeds its audio into Logic, along with my two microphones (Though the Apogee Duet). I can then use EQ, etc as needed. I then feed the sound out (Though the Apogee Duet) into my amp and off it goes.

It's great being able to just have an iPad infront of you using Logic remote to control audio.

My _ONLY_ problem is getting the audio from kJams directly into Logic. Any ideas?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Using Logic Pro to control a show

Post by dave »

AFAIK, only SoundFlower or AudioHijack can do what you're asking. Try AH if SF is giving you grief.

By the way, the "team" is me, myself, and I. There is nobody else. :D

goateeguy

Post by goateeguy »

I know the "Team" is just you...

However, by Team, I meant everyone else on here too... (I don't expect you to know all karaoke setups...) but possibly another host may know of a solution ;)

I'll take a look at Audio Hijack, but for some reason I thought it only pulled audio from an Application, not pulled out and could put into another one.

Thanks!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i *think* AH actually uses SoundFlower for audio routing, so if that is teh failz, i'm not sure what else to recommend. i use it and it works great, never had a problem. there is also "Audio MIDI Setup" which let's you create virtual and aggregate devices, you might look into that?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

FTR, Logic is completely superfluous here. You can route your audio from kJams directly into AU FX plugins like EQ without it, using Loopback/SoundFlower and AU Lab.

1) Set System Volume to the maximum level.
2) In System Preferences, select the “Sound” panel, followed by the “Output” tab. Select the desired Soundflower or Loopback auto out from the Output list.
3) In AU Lab, select Soundflower or Loopback from the “Audio Input Device” pulldown menu, and then from “Audio Output Device” menu select whichever output you want, probably “Built-in Output”
4) Click the “Create Document” button at the bottom of the screen
5) In the “Output 1” column, click the “Effects” dropdown and select “AUGraphicEQ” from the "Apple" submenu.
Untitled 2.png
Your new system-wide equalizer will pop up in a new window!
Window 2016-04-12 at 11.09.06.png
If you want to save EQ presets, when satisfied with the EQ settings, hit Command+S to save the EQ settings file wherever you'd like.
In AU Lab preferences from the AU Lab menu, click on the “Document” tab and click the radiobox next to “Open a specific document”, and select your saved .trak EQ file

Note: If you want the EQ settings to load automatically every time, right-click on the AU Lab icon, go to Options, and select “Open at Login”
Also, SoundFlower was taken over by its original author, Matt Ingles, and the latest version from him works fine on El Capitan in my experience:
https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflo ... /tag/2.0b2

Also, oddly, although AU Lab is directly from Apple, Apple seems to be unaware of this, and Gatekeeper will not let you launch if you have your preferences set to not allow unregistered developers! Just right click the app and select open and then allow the launch and you're set.

https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action#
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Tue May 17, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

right! i was going to say that.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Completely possible, however need to point out a possibly killer for it -- delay..... by the time you run it all through the various software (if your laptop can handle it) there will be an inherent issue of delay as each piece of software passes through that will easily put a singer off timing when their voice appears at the PA a few hundred milli seconds after they sung the words as well as the actually backing track. Im just surmising here as unless you actually try it and test it its hard to "guess" what the processing delay will be.

Dave (T)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Delay is minimal to nonexistent, to the point that is essentially in real time.
On very slow systems, any delay can be compensated for within kJams by time slipping the audio.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

delay on the audio of the song is fine, easily compensated using sync-slip (to get it back in line with the video)

but noticeable delay on the singer's voice from the mic is horrible.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I think the general consensus is not to run the mics through kJams unless absolutely necessary. At least that is what you advocate!
That said, not sure if using the system to EQ will have any additional delay due to doing so, however.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, each "effect" you add to the audio does cause more delay.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I've found that these plugins really add negligible delay, at least on my i7, especially compared to using the microphone input.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

YMMV. for some, the "negligible" latency is like fingernails on a chalkboard. try it for yourself and see, it may be fine to your ears.
:)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

By negligible, I mean "not able to be recognized", at least on faster computers.