Key Changer plugin

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
DaveT

Key Changer plugin

Post by DaveT »

HI Dave -- is there any way to change the plugin that the key changer uses? the reason i ask is that when using the in built, it tends to cause artefacts in the audio when being used. I have been resorting to editing the mp3 in sound forge using the "sound shifter pitch (S)" plugin, saving it, then using the saved file when running live, as it gives a better sound with no artefacts or roughness (we use jams a lot for cabaret work with the singers using the same songs week in week out, so i can get away with it) - i would like to be able to use the key changer for the karaokes i do, without sacrificing the sound quality as i don't have time during live sessions to edit and save etc for one off songs.

If you need example audio files to hear what i mean, gimme a shout

Many Thanks

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Re: Key Changer plugin

Post by dave »

no, there is no audio unit plugin architecture support.

i assume you're on windows, cuz the mac key changer is creamy smooth. i'm using SoundTouch on windows.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

nope Dave -- osx. the key changer is full of artefacts when using it. if i use sound forge and plugins, and save the file, the output is very clean

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

are you on the recent update of kJams?
i had a professional hand-tune the key changer and it passed all tests (at the time).
In "sound forge", use the AUTimePitch plugin unit, and see if you get the same artifacts (that's what kJams uses)
it could be apple has pulled the rug out from under BOTH of us.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Hi Dave -- I'm on the latest KJams. Im packing for my gig tonight just now. i will have time tomorrow to run through the Audio units plugin in sound forge and see if there is anything noticeable etc. will let you know tomorrow :)

Many Thanks

Dave

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Interestingly (decided to do a quick check just now), there is an AU New Pitch Plugin available. It halved the level of the track, and also left a nasty flange noise through it. I have 4 tracks in a drop box for you to listen to Dave.

track 1 -- original untouched mp3
track 2 -- down 3 semitones (300 cents) using the original AU Pitch plugin
track 3 -- down 3 semitones (300 cents) using the NEW AU Pitch Plugin
track 4 -- down 3 semitones using the Waves sound shifter stereo plugin

Big differences between them all, with (in my opinion) the waves one winning hands down. No flanging, and nice and clean. The AU ones seem to flange a lot, but i have noticed on the likes of cymbal sounds make it sound as if the mp3 is at a really really low sample rate, and bass sounds seems to either get lost on some beats or once again sound like a really nasty low sample rate.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3wgf1f1ymyp2 ... ZC50a?dl=0

Let me know what you think mate

thanks

Dave T

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay well, i'm looking at the Waves demo, they make it really hard to test. the "online" installer does exactly nothing when i try that, so i have to DL the "offline" one, which is 1.5GB, taking like an hour to download, cuz for some reason they thought it was a good idea to include every single product they create? and to even download i have to sign up for an account. then the licensing steps are convoluted. sheesh.

if it turns out to be trivial to detect that it's installed, then i may have kJams just use that instead, no UI necessary.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

FTR, I have never heard significant audio artifacts on pitch change (Mac; other than standard MP3 issues; yes, I can hear MP3 artifacts) so there may possibly be an issue with local parameter settings. Sounds like the the total number of sample frames asked for in each render cycle is not matching the number of samples calculated and requested.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the kJams usage of the "AUTimePitch" is fully debugged, so it's extremely unlikely to be related to that. I never did finish downloading the other plugin, it was taking too long. maybe send me an email and we'll talk offline.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Guys -- just to clear up -- the samples i posted yesterday, were not done in KJams. i edited in sound forge to demonstrate exactly what I'm hearing in KJams. its got to be the plugin, as i get the exact same results in KJams as i did processing in sound forge

Dave

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Last night, i came a cross a particular song that shows up this problem really really well -- i have dropped the 3 files into the same dropbox as yesterday. Alone by heart. the chorused piano section at the start is really rough with the AU plugin, but smooth as hell with the waves one. have a listen and let me know what you think. Dave -- is there any easy way for me to copy out the waves plugin from my mac for you to try for yourself?

thanks

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i got the plugin installed
when i have time i'll see if i can just hook it up

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, it's non-trivial to hook it up. i'll ask them about documentation, which i could not find.

meanwhile, i found a BUG where on mac it was reverting to using SoundTouch, which is not as smooth as AUTimePitch. I've fixed kJams on mac to go back to using AUTimePitch, and i think it sounds better. more info soon.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Brilliant Dave, although i still think the issue is with the AU apple one.

Thanks

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i've asked them three times for the API information on how to add this to my app, and each time got a non-answer. my last email has not yet been replied to.