Lag when clearing search box

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
dj urban

Lag when clearing search box

Post by dj urban »

I'm getting a slight delay when hitting the "x" to clear the search box. I have to wait a couple seconds before it will clear. It also will occasionally make the words on the karaoke video that is playing freeze for a split second (doesn't effect audio). This happens when searching my library and TriceraSoft library. It also seems that the search itself has slowed down quite a bit. I recently tried including the TricerSoft library with my regular library but found the search took too long so I switched it back. Not positive if that's when this issue started but I'm hoping there is something I can do to fix it. Thanks.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Lag when clearing search box

Post by dave »

how many songs are in your library?
note you should HIDE any sort columns you don't absolutely need, since each one takes TIME to fetch
more info on slow search, and how to make it faster

dj urban

Post by dj urban »

I have a little over 43,000 songs in my library.
Columns I'm using Artist, Song Name, Album, Duration, and PLI.
Searching has always been a little slow but I don't remember having such a long pause when clearing the search box or it ever effecting the video playback before. In the TriceraSoft library I will get the "pinwheel" for a second after clearing the search box which never happened before. Another weird thing it is doing in TriceraSoft is that sometimes when it completes a search all the songs are highlighted dark blue like I hit "select all". I thought maybe there was something I unknowingly did when I combined libraries that is making it have this issue. I've only noticed it the past couple of weeks. I have a pretty powerful MacBook so I don't think that's the issue (16 GB ram; 2.6 GHz Intel core i7 processor).

dj urban

Post by dj urban »

Update:

I downgraded kjams 2 back to version 2.0d80 and that seems to have fixed the lag.
I guess I'm the only one that was having this issue with version 2.0d81?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i am so sorry for the hassle but would you be willing to DOUBLE check that?

i've made d80 available on the history page
can you run the d81 that's there, test the fail, then run d80 that's there (not your copy), and confirm that it's broken?
there were so few changes between 80 and 81, it seems strange!

-dave

dj urban

Post by dj urban »

Dave-

I double checked the way you requested and it's definitely version d81 that's giving me the lag issue.

Here are a few things I noted when comparing the 2 versions:

I searched the word "home" in my library and the TriceraSoft library. I then timed how long it took each version to clear the search box. My library took 0.75 seconds to clear in d80 versus 2.60 seconds to clear in d81. TriceraSoft took 0.95 seconds to clear in d80 versus 6.50 seconds to clear in d81.

Besides the noticeable difference in time, the TriceraSoft library is highlighted dark blue like I hit "select all" (not only for the search results, but even after I clear the results the entire TriceraSoft library is highlighted the same way). I have to click on something else like "rotation", etc and then go back into TriceraSoft to get it to go back to normal. I also get the "busy pinwheel" for about a second or two every time after clearing the search box in TriceraSoft.

I also noticed that I get the busy pinwheel when opening kjams 2 in version d81. The cursor just stays an arrow in version d80.

Hope this info helps.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the main problem is i switched compilers between 80 and 81, so literally no code changed in this area, just that the compiler did some things differently. i've isolated a bit of code that was causing the delay on the "X", so try the rogue here, let me know if EVERYTHING seems fixed, or what seems fixed and what seems NOT fixed.

dj urban

Post by dj urban »

I tried the rogue version.

Clearing the search box in my library has definitely sped up. It's pretty much the same speed as version d80 now.

TriceraSoft library I don't see any changes. It still has the lag, the pinwheel after clearing search box, and everything is still highlighted after search.

I think getting the busy pinwheel when opening kjams is a non-issue. I got it when opening d80 today and everything still worked fine.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

TriceraSoft library I don't see any changes
okay i just fixed that too, plus the weird thing of it selecting ALL items.

dj urban

Post by dj urban »

Just tested out the rogue version and everything is working perfectly again. Thank you!

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Just for the record, you can get out of the "stuck in a playlist with all items selected" issue without switching playlists. Just ⌘ click an item, which deselects it, then click it again.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)