!ATTENTION! CAVS "NCG" files *CAN* BE CONVERTED!!

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
trippster

!ATTENTION! CAVS "NCG" files *CAN* BE CONVERTED!!

Post by trippster »

Awesome news everyone, I've found a gentleman here in Texas that claimed he is the only one that can convert our CAVS ".ncg" files (Note: that is not ".mcg", that's N as in Nancy, not M as in Michael). And it is true!

Originally he wanted me to send him a hard drive with all the .ncg song files on it so that he could convert them back on to the original hard drive (something about copyright laws), but I talked him into letting me send him my backup files on DVD. It took about a week, but let me tell you.... It worked and works great with kJams!! His charge is 2¢ a song, yes you heard me right, $0.02 per song! His name is Frank and he's a great guy! Here is his website link and contact info:

http://www.kjamp.com/RBKP05.php

RoxBox
325 Sheri Lane
Hurst, TX 76053
USA

1-817-230-4921

frank@kjamp.com

Trust me everyone, he's the genuine article, please don't forget to tell him Christopher from Austin sent you !!! :D

El Ramos

Re: !ATTENTION! CAVS "NCG" files *CAN* BE CONVERTE

Post by El Ramos »

trippster wrote:Awesome news everyone, I've found a gentleman here in Texas that claimed he is the only one that can convert our CAVS ".ncg" files (Note: that is not ".mcg", that's N as in Nancy, not M as in Michael).
All my CAVS files have extension .MCG, not .NCG. How do the two file types differ?

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

Check the FAQ.

El Ramos

Re: :)

Post by El Ramos »

dave wrote:Check the FAQ.
I asked here because the ".mcg/.ncg" FAQ entry doesn't answer my question.

Again: How do these two file types differ from each other?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

If the differences were publicly available then I would be able to support the formats. They are proprietary formats hence their contents is hidden and not documented. As far as I know they both suck. ;)

El Ramos

Re: :)

Post by El Ramos »

dave wrote:If the differences were publicly available then I would be able to support the formats. They are proprietary formats hence their contents is hidden and not documented.
So, the differences are as yet unknown? I see...or, don't see, as the case may be. :wink:

I'm in the midst of converting 42,000 or so .MCGs to .CDGs using CAVS' extortion, er, conversion tool. I notice that each resulting CDG is 5-10 times larger than the MCG it came from, which seems to prove that MCGs are compressed in some way.

I wonder if the CAVS developers simply used some off-the-shelf ZIP library to store the data, then called it a day? If so, retracing their steps could be as easy as taking the path of least resistance!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Okay i've done a bit of reverse engineering work on MCG, it really is just a compressed version of CDG, where they simply "remove" all the records that say "nothing is happening now" and where they also compress out any redundancy. I don't have it yet and I won't be able to work on it for a while, but at least now i know that much. It is not a zip compression.

dave
Site Admin

Coming RSN!

Post by dave »

I've got code. Very soon you'll be able to play NCG and MCG files within kJams. Yay!

-dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

kJams now fully supports NCG and MCG files, without needing conversion. Just load them up like they are regular CDG's and you're good to go, it "just works"! :)

-dave