sending video signal to multi-screens from apple laptop

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

Hi Churchcat.

You need your 2nd monitor connected, then go to system prefs/Displays.
If you now look to your 2nd monitor you will see a drop down menu for NTSC/PAL

Hope you fix it
Len
Tell the truth or lose the horse

ChurchCat

Post by ChurchCat »

lenskaraoke wrote:Hi Churchcat.

You need your 2nd monitor connected, then go to system prefs/Displays.
If you now look to your 2nd monitor you will see a drop down menu for NTSC/PAL

Hope you fix it
Len
Ah! found it. It was hidden behind "refresh rate".

:D

CC
Every forum needs it's own cat.

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

Has anyone else noticed a flickering issue with the Apple video adapter? I've got a brand new Macbook Pro with the DVI–video adapter and with my current setup (composite video running to the tv from the box that accepts multiple video sources) I get flickering on the tv whenever I actually do anything (esp. scrolling) in kjams. It doesn't mess the video signal up permanently like a scratched disc does, it just flickers.

If anyone is using the s-video output and not getting this problem, I'll recable my setup to use s-video. I thought I could cheat and just run s-video from the computer to the switch box, but my switchbox is just passing signal through on the same output it takes in, so that didn't work.

Anyway, I know it's not a kJams issue, just figured I'd ask before I went to the trouble of running 50 ft. of cable.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

I use a box that sends multi video and that is fed from a signal booster and is all fed via composite leads the first of witch comes from my dvi adapter from apple, I have never had the problem you describe. I can't see it being any different if you use the other lead. I will give it some thought and if I come up with anything I will get back to you

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

Thanks. I think I'm going to test the s-video connection tonight and see if I get the same thing. I don't know why I was thinking last night that I couldn't hook up to the tv directly, but there isn't any reason I can't for testing the adaptor.

I was able to duplicate the phenomenon with the composite feed on two different tv's, so I know it's an issue before the video switch.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

The leads are the cheapest things to replace and do go faulty easily. try different leads and also check the dvi connector, but to be honest I don,t think it will be the connector.
How did you fed the TVs before you used a laptop.

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

Composite from multiple karaoke sources to a video switch box, then composite from there to the tv.

Looks like it's going to be a mute point for me. After trying to test a direct s-video connection, I realized that the display we're using in the bar doesn't even have an s-video connection. :oops: Oops.

I also noticed last night that I get a flicker on the laptop screen itself when scrolling, so it may be the video card in the laptop. Just to be sure, I tucked the s-video cable into my bag in case I happen to run into a tv someplace that does have s-video so I can check.

I'm going to be really annoyed if I find out it's an issue with the laptop. More for the inconvenience of it than anything else. It's a real pain trying to get every little last thing configured correctly on a system these days, I'd hate to get that done, send it for "service" and get back a brand new one and have to go through that all again. :roll:

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

It does sound like it may be the laptop but if you've not had it long take it back, apple are very good at exchanging goods that are faulty. If you go to an apple store with your laptop and the dvi connector and some composite leads they may set it up and test it for you, they can then do a comparison test with a shop floor model, when I first got mine I couldn't figure it out, but, when I went to an apple store they did help me to sort it out.

randyj

Post by randyj »

if the flickering was just on the TVs I would say it's because the signal strength isn't enough to feed multiple displays and/or the long cable run. You need a booster.

Alas... if the internal display is doing it too... ugh

every forum needs a RanDJ

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

As it turns out, it's a known issue with Penryn Macbook Pro systems. I initially fixed it by zapping pram (which apparently also cleans up something similar on the video card at the same time). Apparently it is being addressed with 10.5.3, which should be out very soon. Some kind of driver issue or something.

randyj

Post by randyj »

Anybody remember how bad Mac OS 7.5.3 was? Here's hoping 10.5.3 is way more stable...

I must be sleep deprived. That barely made any sense. G'nite!

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

8)