Mixer recomendations for my existing DJ setup?

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
powermixx

Mixer recomendations for my existing DJ setup?

Post by powermixx »

I've been a DJ for 22 years and have just started incorporating Karaoke into my services. I presently have the following:

DJ Gear:
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM with Mac OS 10.4.9
Music Library 25k Songs
Megaseg DJ Software
M-Audio Torq (Digital Vinyl Software)
500GB Fantom Drive
Trigger Finger
Conectiv
Torq 1.0.4
iTunes 7.3.1
Enigma 1.2.1
(1) Pioneer DJM-909 & (2) CDJ-1000 MK II
Crown Amps with Bose 802 Series II Speakers

Karaoke Gear:
KJams Lite
KJams Burner software

I've ripped my karaoke discs into my hard drive. So, with this new MacBook Pro, I can simply connect an external monitor for karaoke lyrics viewing...right?

My other issue is a mixer. My present mixer is a Pioneer DJM-909 - not exactly a tool for karaoke. I'm thinking of getting a small 2-mic mixer with reverb and then feeding that to one of the inputs in my DJM-909.

Your thoughts for a solution for me? Do you know a SMALL 2 mic mixer with the basic karaoke tools like reverb, volume? Anything else you can recommend? Thanks! :P

Bobby

dave
Site Admin

hmmm

Post by dave »

I can simply connect an external monitor for karaoke lyrics viewing...right?
Correct. You'll need one of these. (same link at apple).
My other issue is a mixer.
Sorry i'm not the expert on that. Anybody else care to chime in here?

powermixx

Re: hmmm

Post by powermixx »

dave wrote:
I can simply connect an external monitor for karaoke lyrics viewing...right?
Thanks Dave. Does KJams have the small viewing window (bottom-left) working yet? (If I can't see the monitor?) I saw an old thread where you mentioned it was going to be in a Dec 06 release. Can you view the video in a small window on the main screen with an external monitor connected for the singer?

dave
Site Admin

artwork window

Post by dave »

the second window is a pro feature. not to mention that the license for Lite does not include public showings, only the Pro is licensed for public shows. :)

ChurchCat

Re: artwork window

Post by ChurchCat »

dave wrote:not to mention that the license for Lite does not include public showings, only the Pro is licensed for public shows. :)

I am certain that nobody would even think of using the light version for a public show Dave.

:wink:

CC

kingswoodkelly

K.J. Mixers

Post by kingswoodkelly »

Over 2,500 Karaoke gigs as well as sound engineering has led me to some pretty fancy mixers both digital & analogue.
I would strongly recommend one of the new Yamaha's that come with 4 channels incorporating Compression.
I too run 802's/502B's and for some 15 years have always had an outboard compressor to help save my speakers (& the audience) from microphone abuse (Banging yelling etc.) I have yet to blow a speaker !
I find a sweeping (parametric) mid E.Q. is great for notching out "honk" in various voices - or emphasising sibilance.
I find Reverb,Echo,Chorus & Pitch shifting (for fun only) a good asset so a desk with these features is very versatile - otherwise outboard them and use sub returns for mixing.
As we Bose aficionados have to use an 802c, I place a Compressor/Limiter before the 802c because it is both convenient and a little overall compression is handy in gaining extra headroom in a noisy environment without upsetting the neighbours too much.
A desk with onboard Graphic E.Q. is very handy for E.Q.ing a room (It's great that as Bose owners we don't have to E.Q. our speakers isn't it ?)
My recommendation would be something like the new Yamaha powered desks. I too have Crown amps however the efficiency of switching amps is not only good for the planet but good for our bank balance as well as being very light in weight.
Digital desks are awesome however I found using my O1v that quick adjustment to individual singers - most of whom do not know how to use a Mic. - was cumbersome.
You may think from this that I sell Yamaha. I also own Allen & Heath Barld & Behringer.
Hope this is useful.
Duncan Fry's book on live sound mixing is a godsend.
Cheers
David (Doc) Kelly

dave
Site Admin

Wow!

Post by dave »

Excellent advice! Thanks!

powermixx

Re: K.J. Mixers

Post by powermixx »

kingswoodkelly wrote:I would strongly recommend one of the new Yamaha's that come with 4 channels incorporating Compression.
Can you provide a model number? Thanks!

ChurchCat

Re: K.J. Mixers

Post by ChurchCat »

powermixx wrote:
kingswoodkelly wrote:I would strongly recommend one of the new Yamaha's that come with 4 channels incorporating Compression.
Can you provide a model number? Thanks!
A quick Google brought this up for me.

Yamaha MG102C Clicky

If you are over the pond you might need another supplier though.

CC

ChurchCat

Re: Thank you!

Post by ChurchCat »

dave wrote:Meyow!
:lol:

I would just like to add that having compression built in to a mixer is a fantastic idea. I have not come across this feature on budget mixers before. In the past I have added compression via an external unit using the mixer insert jack.

I think that many KJs are unaware of the wonders of compression. It is unusual to see it used but the advantages it offers are massive.

CC

powermixx

Post by powermixx »

Well I purchased this:
http://bostonaudio.net/store/images/1_da1050.jpg
(not from that company - that's just a pic of it)

I chose this mixer because it's a single rack mount ~ sweet! I also am offering Karaoke as a side to my existing DJ business, so a rack mounted mixer is perfect. Also, this unit has 6 mic inputs - but I really like the fact that there's 3 on the rear of the unit. I'll probably only use 2 mics at once anyway. I found many with mic inputs on the front. I prefer to have the mic wires out of the way...

I just bought KJams Pro, so I'm ready to go!~ :P

But thank you for all the suggestions. And yes, I use a dbx Driverack in my system just before my amps - to protect my gear.

dave
Site Admin

wow

Post by dave »

awesome!

goddylla

Effects

Post by goddylla »

I have a variety of outboard effects (several years in several bands) that I primarily use for shows, but I have also had great success in using garage band as my vocal output. Garage band lets you use two effects per vocal channel (Garageband 08 lets you use 4!)
Apple has incorporated some delightfully useful effects in such an inexpensive piece of software.

dave
Site Admin

agreed

Post by dave »

GarageBand is a pretty great addition to kJams.