Multi-monitors with a new Mac

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
mrjesserobinson

Multi-monitors with a new Mac

Post by mrjesserobinson »

My video setup consists of two TVs (for audience) and a computer monitor (for KJ).
One TV is a large CRT (with RCA Connectors) which faces the audience and the second is a smaller CRT (with RCA Connectors) which faces the singers.
Currently, I'm using a PC with an e-GeForce FX 5200 video card, which has VGA out and S-Video out.
I split the S-Video to the two TVs and the VGA goes to the computer monitor.
I want to replace the PC with a Mac and kJams Pro.

Will a Mac mini work with this video configuration? If so, how?
If not, will a MacBook or what would you recommend?
Also, in the future, could I replace the large CRT with a flatscreen HDTV (HDMI in), but still keep the singer's CRT?

Thanks,
-Jesse

mrjesserobinson

Re: Multi-monitors with a new Mac

I forgot to mention, I have an iPad. I've seen posts regarding iPad and Mac minis. How do these work together?

Thanks,
-Jesse

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

see these:
ipad, video out:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1292&p=7536

video out:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1321&p=7467&hilit=mini+video#p7467
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1296&p=7291

and see this in the FAQ:
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/FAQ#How_d ... on_a_TV.3F

that should get you started, let me know if you still have questions!

-dave

mrjesserobinson

Dave,

I read all of the links and still have questions (by the way, a lot of your hyperlinks are dead, specifically in the FAQ>HD). Some of the forum topics you gave where about trying to get audio to a HDMI TV. The audio portion of this I am covered. I have a powered mixer for mics and audio out of computer which go to speakers. I do not want any audio going to the TVs, just video.

Let's say I buy a new Mac mini and kJams Pro (forget about the iPad to make it simpler). I would connect the Mac mini's heaphone jack to my powered mixer (along with mics) then to speakers. Great, no problem with sound. I would connect the Mini DisplayPort to my existing monitor using a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. Great, I can see kJams while I'm sitting next to the powered mixer controlling the sound. Then, I would connect the Mac mini's HDMI out to a flatpanel HDTV which has HDMI in. I would extend my desktop so that the karaoke words play on the HDTV and kJams would be seen by me on the computer monitor. Can I assume that would work?

Ok, if that Mac mini scenario works then let's say I don't have a HDTV. I only have a CRT TV with RCA connectors. How would that work, or would it? I'm trying to understand if I buy a Mac mini and kJams Pro do I need to buy a HDTV or can I use my existing CRT TVs?

I hope that's more specific and clear. Thanks,
-Jesse

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

you can not tell me that "a lot of [my] hyperlinks are dead" and then not tell me which ones you're referring to. I just checked and found ZERO dead hyperlinks, so you must be looking somewhere i did not look. Specifically, there is no FAQ>HD to be found anywhere, what are you referring to?

you are entirely correct in your second paragraph. that's exactly how it works.

in the second case you need 2 adapters: "HDMI to VGA" then "VGA to RCA"

mrjesserobinson

For "FAQ>HD" I mean't http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/HDTV
On that page the "VGA to Component Video Converter" link for Audio Authority is discontinued. Same sentence "one of" redirects to AMD main page. Same sentence both "this box" links to older and error pages. the link in line 3. "DisplayConfigX" gets a page can't be found.

Thanks for the answers. One last thing I don't understand, can I split a HDMI signal to 2 separate TVs, so that they both display the same image (like I can with s-video)? If the answer to that question is YES, then it seems I have 2 options (remember I want 2 TVs: 1 for singers and 1 for audience)...

Option A: Mac mini > HDMI to VGA > VGA to RCA > split to 2 CRT TVs.
Option B: Mac mini > HDMI > split to flat screen HDTVs.
...is there a Option C, where the Mac mini supports a large flat screen HDTV (audience) AND a small CRT TV (singers)?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

thanks for that, fixed the links.

you just need an HDMI splitter. do NOT get a cable for $10, they're fake. you need a box, probably > $50. just google "hdmi splitter"

you CAN add more displays via USB
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/FAQ#How_c ... isplays.3F

mrjesserobinson

I think the HDMI Splitter is the way to go. There are a lot of negative reviews on Amazon for the Tritton
http://www.amazon.com/Tritton-Xtreme-Ex ... Descending

So, I'm thinking I can split the HDMI, one goes to the HDMI TV the other to a HDMI to VGA adapter then VGA to RCA, is that right? I've been looking but finding it hard to find products to this, HDMI to RCA. Any suggestions?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

there is no such thing (that i know of). you must go HDMI to VGA, then VGA to RCA

mrjesserobinson

What products do you recommend to do that?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i don't. just google "HDMI to VGA" and "VGA to Video" and sort by price :) note: a cable alone won't do it, you need a box. about $120 for the first one (here's an example) $25 for the 2nd one and (example).

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Although HDMI is the way to go for future use, it seems that you might get more mileage for your money by getting a DVI to S-Video adaptor (<$10 on eBay) and just using your existing set up for the external monitors, and then hook up your control monitor via MiniDisplay port, either via a monitor that supports miniDisplayPort, or via another adaptor. This is much cheaper than getting an HDMI splitter, which can be somewhat expensive, and overkill for your old TV, as well as requiring yet more adaptors to get to RCA.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

be VERY sure you understand this: DVI comes in three flavors: DVI-A, DVI-D, and DVI-I. ("I" and "D" also have "dual link" flavors, but let's ignore that for now shall we?) The "D" flavor is digital only, and can NOT be turned into S-Video. The "A" (analog) and "I" (integrated both "A" and "D") both carry an analog signal suitable for converting to S-Video.

So it's easy enough to convert D to D, like HDMI to DVI-D, but if you have DVI-D, you can't convert that to S-Video since there is no analog signal. Not without a signal converter you can't. That's why you need to go thru TWO converters. HDMI to VGA does the D to A conversion, and once there it's easier to go to S-Video.

The mac's Mini-DisplayPort is digital only, there is no one-stop converter to go from that to S-Video. With a simple adapter you can easily convert to HDMI or DVI-D, but then, see above.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Whoops, forgot about that.
So, better option, get the previous model mac mini with DVI-I. Cheaper and more versatile.