mini mac and ipad

Just talk about kJams stuff with each other, describe things you did that worked, talk about your setup, anything that doesn't fit into the other forums!
Iamjc

mini mac and ipad

Post by Iamjc »

I want to use a mini mac to run the program and my Ipad as a keyboard/monitor.
Is this possible? If so how is it done?

dave
Site Admin

Re: mini mac and ipad

Post by dave »

you could try iJams (for song submission) plus RowMote (for remote control) plus VNC (for seeing the screen / controlling with keyboard). but you may not need VNC in the end?

http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Remote_Control

Iamjc

Post by Iamjc »

Has anyone ever done it? I'd hate to spend the money for both only to find out it doesn't work.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I do it myself. I only use iJams and RowMote, i don't bother using the GUI on the mac itself (via VNC), and it's awesome. the mac stays in full screen mode serving up the rotation, and i fill the rotation with iJams, and do play/pause/next/prev with RowMote. if i need a pitch change i use Telekinesis.

Iamjc

Post by Iamjc »

Ok so I'm buying the ipad this week, already got the mac mini. I'm going to use Ijams. What else do I need to get and what do you use to get your video out on monitor 2 to the tv's? I've always used a pc with s video and converted it to rca video. Mac stuff is all new to me so if I sound a little slow I'm from another planet and rode the little bus to school, sometimes I wore a helmet and licked the windows.
Basically the mac seems so simple that it confuses me being a pc guy since DOS. If you can reply with links to what I need that would help. I have no idea what this is, "GUI on the mac itself (via VNC)" or
Telekinesis, is that a program or how you move things with your mind?
Thanks

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Ok so I'm buying the iPad this week … I'm going to use iJams
YAY!!
What else do I need to get
nothing! :D
what do you use to get your video out to the tv?
okay sadly this will cost more money. the deal is, the new MacMini has a Mini-DisplayPort and an HDMI port. You've got a few options:
1: get a TV (screen 2) that has HDMI input. this is by far the simplest thing. then, just plug it in.
2: get a monitor (screen 1) that has HDMI, then use the DisplayPort to go out to VGA, then use the scan converter to convert to RCA
3: convert from HDMI to VGA and use the scan converter
GUI on the mac itself (via VNC)
i recommend don't bother with VNC on your iPad unless you're a die hard geek. it lets you see and control your mac screen from your iPad.
Telekinesis
That is one of the many kJams Remote Control apps

Iamjc

Post by Iamjc »

"i recommend don't bother with VNC on your iPad unless you're a die hard geek. it lets you see and control your mac screen from your iPad."

I want to control the mac mini from the ipad and use the ipad as a monitor/keyboard, how can I do that without vnc? They're will be no other monitor except the main screens, but I only want them to be #2 so they can't see anything but the karaoke screen.

Most places I run shows at don't have hdmi source inputs, rca video only, so I'll need to convert.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i'm just sayin' you're asking for pain by using VNC but go ahead if you want to. it lets you see *existing* screens, it does not let you create another separate display. for that you need iDisplay.

i'm confused about you saying "They're will be no other monitor except the main screens", screenS being plural, you have two screens. one for you (so you can run the show in the browser window) and one for the audience (so the singer can see the lyrics and the audience can follow along, normally this is done with a video splitter cable)

in that case, you're already done. so yes, if you're hooking screen 1 (the one you look at) to the mini-displayport, then for screen 2 (the TV) you'll need a converters to get HDMI to VGA to RCA (s-video). if screen 1 is HDMI (many flat panel screens now come with that) then it's a bit cheaper to go displayport to VGA to RCA